1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Windows ME trouble...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SamN, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

Ok, Im having some trouble with ME...And it's really weird. It started a week ago and I've yet to fix it (the fact that I have a minimal knowledge of how ME works may contribute to why I can't do that...)

Anyway, A week ago I was routinely running Norton Antivirus Live Update for my parents when I was prompted to restart the computer. I did so, as this was normal, so I walked off for a few minutes as our slow computer rebooted. When I came back everything was crazy! The screen resolution won't change from 16 colours at 640x480. The mouse doesn't seem to work at all anymore, so far I've had to use the keyboard or my Pen Tablet (and the cursor doesn't appear for it depite that it works.) It's constantly crashing randomly and a DLL error of some sort appears everytime I boot up, which may be the reason for all of this...

And it's happened once before, we had to get a computer repairman to wipe our hardrive...I don't really think that's necessary (and I'm 15 so I lack sufficient funds to get that to happen anyway.) Is there anyone who's experienced this and has a solution? It would be of great assistance.

Thanks in advance if you can help...

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

Im doing the scan now and unfornately since this is not my computer (but the only internet able one in our house) the sibling that does own it thought it would be a good idea to disable system restore a long time ago. I don't think it would have worked though, the last time this happened to the computer it didnt. :(

Also, after the last crash I wrote down the error that kept appearing, if it may help...

"Rundll has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL
    Rudll will now close."

It seems like a common enough error after all of the ones I've seen on this trouble ridden computer...

4. 911

If you are using Norton Antivirus, System Restore will cause NAV to crash at the next start-up. You have to uninstall every Norton/Symantec file on your machine, re-install everything, download and install all the updates, and try to get Live-Update to work again. After it happened to me a number of times in a row, I just scrapped NAV and chose free AVG antivirus which runs great and has given me no problems at all. My advice is to scrap Norton, and start using System Restore again.

5. 911

I forgot about your screen problem. (sorry) You got your screen area setting scrambled. Easy to fix.
    Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
    Click Properties on the pop-up menu.
    Select the Settings tab. There is a slider in the box named Screen Area at the lower right.
    Put your cursor on the slider, click and drag it toward "More".
    Click Apply. and then OK.

6. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

I've already tried to change the screen resolution several times, even to lower colours just to get a change out of it, however it always starts up again at 16 colours and at 640x480. (At first I had thought it was in safe mode, but that seems not to be the case.)

So it's possible that it was NAV that caused this problem? I had a feeling that it would be, since all of our problems so far have had to do with it, yet I can't convince my parents to let me change the security on our computers. Though I don't think System Restore would be a problem as it's been disabled since the last time the hard drive was formatted...

7. telecom69

8. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

Just a little question about the method on the link you gave me...By changing this file, is there any risk of something worse happeneing? If not, I'm all for giving it a go (once the online scan finishes as since all of this has happened, the internet connection has also slowed down a fair bit.)

9. telecom69

Just leave it for a while till the scan finishes and we see the results .....

A good idea would be to post a hijackthis log from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html it MUST be downloaded to its own folder somewhere away from the desktop to function correctly .....

10. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

I ran Hijackthis and got a few errors while it was running, but I still got a log...

Online scan still running, but would you like me to post the errors too, or is that unecessary?

11. telecom69

You probably got the errors because the scan was still running,I have to be away from the computer for a couple of hours now will you repost the log when scan has stopped and I will reply asap .......

12. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

I used Hijackthis again after the scan finished (no viruses found) but the errors still appeared.

I'll have to go now to have dinner but I'll be back afterwards...

13. telecom69

OK put a tick by EACH of the following and have hijack FIX them,close any open windows except hijack before doing so

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://server224.smartbotpro.net/7search/?new-hklm
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file
    O2 - BHO: brdg Class - {9C691A33-7DDA-4C2F-BE4C-C176083F35CF} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BRIDGE.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: UrlCatcher Class - {CE31A1F7-3D90-4874-8FBE-A5D97F8BC8F1} - C:\PROGRA~1\BARGAI~1\BIN\APUC.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {83DE62E0-5805-11D8-9B25-00E04C60FAF2} - C:\WINDOWS\2_0_1browserhelper2.dll (file missing
    O2 - BHO: ADP UrlCatcher Class - {F4E04583-354E-4076-BE7D-ED6A80FD66DA} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSBE.DLL
    O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - C:\WINDOWS\NEM220.DLL
    O2 - BHO: BHObj Class - {8F4E5661-F99E-4B3E-8D85-0EA71C0748E4} - C:\WINDOWS\WSEM303.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClrSchLoader] \Progra~1\Lycos\IEagent\Loader.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Internet Optimizer] "C:\Program Files\Internet Optimizer\optimize.exe"
    O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52...meInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocach...up1.0.0.8-2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {771A1334-6B08-4A6B-AEDC-CF994BA2CEBE} (Installer Class) - http://www.ysbweb.com/ist/softwares...sb_msnnames.cab

You also need to boot into SAFE MODE and find and delete the following

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ISTSVC\ISTSVC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET OPTIMIZER\OPTIMIZE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET OPTIMIZER\ACTALERT.EXE

Post a modified log when finished .......

14. SamN

SamN Thread Starter

Safe Mode is F8 on startup, right? If so, it didn't seem to work...Maybe I missed something or did something wrong...

15. telecom69

Yes keep on tapping F8 while the computer is booting up it soons stops when it gets the first bit done,another way is to hold down the Ctrl key while its booting up ......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice