1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Major Windows XP Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by billstevens, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billstevens

billstevens Thread Starter

I'm typing this on a borrowed computer, so I'll make it short.

I tried to switch from my old CRT monitor to a LCD, but when I booted windows afterwards, the desktop was empty. No taskbar, no icons, no ability to right click. Just wallpaper and cursor that can move all over the empty screen. I don't know how the monitor switch could trigger such a change, but I suppose it could be a video card reaction. The taskbar is not hidden on the sides of the screen, and the mouse stops at the edge (Where you can see just one pixel), so it really is the extremity of the screen.

Safe mode just gives me the same problems.

Can anyone tell me how I can access the data on my hard drive? I'll be fine as long as I can recover my documents. Help is greatly appreciated.

2. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Did you try switching back to the monitor? What happens?

You say you have no ability to right-click? Did you add any programs or hardware OTHER than the LCD?

Do you run antivirus and antispyware programs and are they up to date?

Bubblz

Also, if you hold CTRL and hit ESC (while holding CTRL), does that bring up the START menu?

3. billstevens

billstevens Thread Starter

I tried 2 other monitors, and the effect remains (I am currently on the monitor that was working). I keep fairly up to date on virus protection, and the only thing that changed between it working and not was the monitor change. Moreover, at our house we did a completely switch-up of monitors, and the other computer on which we switched monitors (This one a windows 98) did the same thing; so I'm convinced it's too much of a coincidence to be related to a virus.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

4. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

Did you try holding CTRL and hitting ESC (while holding CTRL)? Did that bring up the START menu? You said this is a Windows 98 PC? And if I understand your previous post correctly, you also cannot right-click, correct?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice