1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MAJOR XP PROBLEM!!! (please read)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mixx941, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I have a MAJOR Windows XP problem...When I try to do simple tasks like browse the internet with Netscape, or log on to AOL, my computer gives me this blue screen that says:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP*** And then a bunch of numbers.

Some of you might ask why I am using Netscape, instead of Internet Explorer. Well, in one of my other posts, I describe the ongoing IE problem. You can read it by going to this link.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62347

Just a minute ago, I booted up my computer, and started Netscape to do a little browsing. It gave me that screen. Or when I sign on to America Online, it gives me that screen. Sometimes when I exit the game Max Payne, it gives me the error.

If you have ANY ideas on why this might be happening, please post back.

Thanks

-Mark

2. angel

angel

Was this a clean install of XP or did you upgrade? If it was an upgrade, see <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q311564">this</a> Microsoft article.

3. brianF

brianF

4. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

It was an upgrade from 98 SE

5. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks Angel for your post. I took a look at that article, and that was pertaining to the upgrade process. I didn't have any problems upgrading, just now. Somewhere in one of the articles, it said one of the solutions was to flash the BIOS. My BIOS is from 1999 (I know that is old), and the newest one is April 20, 2000. I called GigaByte (mobo manufacturer), and they said that neither of the BIOS are fully compatible with Windows XP. I have the money, and in the process of upgrading my computer to the following specs:

Athlon XP 1900+
    ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder
    1GHz RAM
    New Motherboard (not decided on what kind yet)

Please post back with any ideas.

Thanks

6. angel

angel

Well, both articles posted point to incompatible hardware. Did you run the XP upgrade advisor thingy before upgrading?

Whether you decide to keep what you have or upgrade your hardware, I would strongly suggest a clean install of XP. Be sure to run the upgrade advisor too.

BrianF is one of the hardware gurus so I'm sure he'll be back here in a little bit with more info for ya.

7. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks again Angel. I have been told about clean installs, but I cannot afford to delete all my stuff. I have so much valuable information on here. Documents, programs that are not available anymore. I need to keep my files. I have NO PROBLEM reinstalling XP, as long as I can keep ALL my files some way.

We are still in the process of relocating. I have no idea where any of the driver disks are, and have no way of finding them. When I built my new computer, I was going to just take my 2 hard drives (13.3 GB Maxtor 7200RPM for the C, 40GB Maxtor 7200RPM for the D) and put them in the new case, along with any hardware I still needed.

Please post back with any ideas.

Thanks

-Mark

8. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I hate to post in a row like this, but something just happened, and I have some data for anyone that might know anything about it. I just got the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message, and when I restarted my computer, a box came up and said:

Your computer has recovered from a serious error

Here is the report it created:

Error Signature:
    BCCode : a BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 804F1A9E OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1

The Following Files will be included in this error report:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122801-02.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\MARKIS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Thanks for your continuing posts.

-Mark

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

What I would do is take all the stuff I really need and make a copy in a special folder on the larger hard drive. Then do a clean install on the 13 gig drive.

What type of programs are those that you need to save? Are they dos programs, win 3.1 programs? Do they need the registry? Do they need special dlls? The reason I ask this is that if they are win95 programs, then without the install portion of the program, they might not run correctly after a clean install.

But as Angel said, that error is a hardware issue, either in a driver or in the hardware itself. Sometimes there will be a a series of letters in those number like emu10k1m.sys these can help point to the device that is causing the stop.

10. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

They are not all old programs. Like, for example, I have documents that I need to save. I know I can copy them to a special folder on the D drive, and then copy those back. Most of the programs that I loaded off a CD, I have no idea where the CD is, as we are still getting settled in our new house.

Brooks said that this is probally caused by software or hardware. Here are my current hardware specs:

AMD Athlon 500MHz
    GeForce 2 MX 200 (Latest XP Drivers)
    Sound Blaster LIVE! Value (No New XP Drivers)
    Linksys Ethernet Card (No drivers, period)
    Old Intel 2100 Pro DSL Modem (Not Used)
    Actiontec Firewire PCI Card
    Kenwood 72X CDROM
    TDK VeloCD 8x4x12
    GigaByte GA-7IX Motherboard

A question I think I asked before, but could this problem be due to an out of date BIOS? I have a BIOS from 1999. The newest BIOS is April 20, 2000. This one is not compatible with XP (I talked to GigaByte).

Thanks for your ongoing support

-Mark

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I do not have that card yet. Are you saying that I shouldn't get that card? In my opinion, that is one of the best cards out there. ATI makes gr8 cards.

I recently upgraded my video card from an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 16MB AGP to a GeForce 2 MX200 32MB AGP. When I had the ATI, I got a stop error that said:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (just like on that page that you linked)

Thanks for your continuing support

-Mark

13. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

When I talked to Microsoft, they told me to remove any unused applications. They said to always do it through Add/Remove programs. Well, one program I am trying to remove is not in the add/remove programs list, or on the start menu. Can I just delete it from the C:\ drive?

14. Brooks

Brooks Guest

What program is it?

There might be registry entries that will still try to load it on startup and give errors.

15. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

It is something called 3Drad. Someone else installed it on my computer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice