1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Make a new Rule

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by nickelodeon, Oct 18, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. nickelodeon

nickelodeon Thread Starter

hay techguy,

i think that you should make a new rule stating that the person who starts the thread has to name the thread with a specific name. It realy annoys me when going through the forums and seeing things like "plz plz plz help me" and "this problem is big". This wastes time for people because they could open it and not have a clue what to do but someone who would know what to do would just pass through it. So i propose to you that you make a rule saying that you have to state your problem in the thread title.

thankyou

2. RandyG

RandyG

Hi nickelodeon,

It's not very possible to enforce. Most of the folks who put kaka in their Subject line sare new here and looking for help. Slapping them in the face for not following rules is not a good way to start off helping them.

I agree that better Subject lines would be the best course of action, but the only way to do anythig along those lines would be to get a Mod to change the title if it is found to be confusing. Since thousands of posts occur daily, that means a lot more useless work for Mods.

I know you are suggesting making it a Rule to make Subject lines more valid, but I don't see how you would enforce it, and a Rule that can't be enforced isn't worth the time of energy.

I wish legislators would realise that before they make some more stupid Laws!;):D

3. oldie

oldie

Randy is correct here - believe it or not many newbies are somewhat nervous when posting for the 1st time - so to slap their wrist would be a little harsh to say the least - any obscure thread title - on a board I moderate on - I simply alter the title making it more obvious in it's point - it takes one minute to do !!!

just a thought - Oldie

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i think we are even lucky if the newbies even search before they post

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

yep, good idea, and just exactly where should we put that rule so everyone has to read it????????

and then, agree to it? ;)

and then follow thru with it ;)

and then do it ;)

6. nickelodeon

nickelodeon Thread Starter

well its just a sujestion and what harm would it do if you put it on the rules list?

its not like many people follow half the rules (such as search for a post before posting)

Its doesnt matter if some people dont follow it some people will some people wont and if they do not then dont slap them or n e thing. Its just to make life easier for us.

:D

7. Mermaid

Mermaid

I would agree that if a subject or problem line were specific it would make it easier for moderators, but being a relative "newbie", (even after almost 2 years) and posting several , plz, plz, plz, help , it is usually sheer frustration with an ongoing problem. The gratitude we feel after the problem is fixed is what keeps us newbies comming back here again and again. Please don't slap us on the wrist, we are loyal subjects and appreciate all the time and effort to help us solve the problem ( now if I could just remember how to put in a smiley !!)

8. prospect

prospect

The people that are here all the time, just seem to know to look at a funny looking subject line. I stay away from them cause they seem to have big problems I can't help with. LOL :confused:

Prospect ;)

9. oldie

oldie

Well said MERMAID and gud on yers matey :D me too - once a newbie always a newbie - but always with a sense of humour - or for AcaCandy's benefit humOr :D

AcaCandy - easy peasy - any Mod doing the rounds simply edit the thread titles to be more "To the point" save unecessary clicking (y)

Ciao ciao - Oldie ;)

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Maybe we can assign that duty to Mulder :eek: Keep him busy and out of trouble...... ;)

I change some of them :D :D

11. oldie

oldie

AcaCandy - luv yer - your response is so - so - so - whats the description I am looking for here ? moderate ? non extremist ? WISE maybe ? anyways much appreciated by most I am sure

Bet it's one big headache at times though [​IMG]

An appreciative member - oldie

12. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Nice thought, but to use the best King's English, "it ain't gonna happen, no where, no how, bunkie" :D

The range of user knowledge/experience we get here runs from advanced expert to "my screen is black, I turned on the PC, do I have to turn the TV thingie too?"

Some will state a clear concise description of the problem in the thread name and the first post, others you are 15 posts into the thread before you can find out what the user is really trying to say.

All in all, it's the nature of the beast and not going to change.
    Think of it as a challenge!! :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice