make a phone call using your modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ragez0r

hi.. umm id like to make a phone call (local) but dial through my pc and talk through the headphones and microphone instead of using my phone line..

any program allow me to do this ??

sorry for the dumb question but up my searches all im getting are the pc to phone long distance plans and im going ape sh!t over this.. so any help would be greatly appreciated

cya

Is your modem actually voice capable?

What software came with it?

What is the make and model of the modem?

ragez0r

well, im quite certain it is a voice modem... BCM v.90 56k modem.. came with the computer so i the only software is whatever winxp got...
thank u

ragez0r said:
hi.. umm id like to make a phone call (local) but dial through my pc and talk through the headphones and microphone instead of using my phone line..

any program allow me to do this ??

sorry for the dumb question but up my searches all im getting are the pc to phone long distance plans and im going ape sh!t over this.. so any help would be greatly appreciated

cya
Hi ragez0r,

This sounds very much like you want to do something like VoIP without the VoIP? I saw a newscast the other night that mentioned Free VoIP from Skype - if that helps.

Is your phone line DSL? To make a local phone call as you mention, it sounds as if you would need DSL to not use the analog phone line. At the very least, it also sounds as if VoIP would be necessary - unless I am tragically misinformed - don't rule that out! LoL :)

Best to check out getting the Free Skype along with DSL - I am guessing, but I'm sure there must be a way, only I don't know it, and for sure it would probably use the phone line as well.

-- Tom

You just need an application that will work with the modem.

Something like this
http://shareit1.element5.com/product.html?productid=134495&resellerid=941

Voice modem software as a search string to Google gives 5,000,000 hits, one is bound to suit.

I have used such applications, but compared to a telephone they tend to suck.
They are no cheaper than a phone call as the modem dials the number just as the phone does. Its not "free calling" in that regard.

It simply replaces a $5 telephone with a $1,000 computer. But the telephone makes a better job of it.

ragez0r

lotuseclat79:
no i dont have dsl.. i have umm.. my phone line is thru the cable of my cable company.. so i dunno if thats voip or not..... but thats not what i want i just want to make a phone call with my regular 56k modem.. same as picking up my phone and dialing a friend.. i want a software that can do that...so i can talk using my headphones and my microphone...

kiwiguy:
so far, i think this is what i want.. but when i tried to test it out by simply dialing my mobile phone, it told me its not available or my calling card is insufficient ??? i dont need a calling card to make a local phone call.. but yes.. i think the program i want is very similar to this one.. thanks.. that google search line oughtta do the trick....

Check the modem properties, its a few years since I used dial-up, but I know that there were "calling card" settings somewhere. You may inadvertantly have ticked the box?

Hi ragez0r,

I seem to recall that when I had a take-home from work dial-up system, I used to do something like the following to dial into my company's modem to connect to the computers at work:

ATDT1800-nnn-nnnn

So, if your modem manufacturer has control center software like USR has or something like it, I'm pretty sure you could dial-up one of your local friends using that scheme, although I am not certain how the microphone and speakers get tied into it - it is software that is needed to do what you want, like what kiwiguy already mentioned - i.e. PC-Telephone.

You can visit the website: http://www.modemsite.com/
for just about any information you would need regarding modems.

For 56k modems: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/index.asp

-- Tom

Some modems have MIC and SPK jacks at the front or back of the modem, you could simply bring up dialer.exe on the computer, dial the number, plug the mic/spk into the MODEM, not the computer, and talk away.

For the modems that don't have MIC and SPK jacks, i recommend SuperVoice, which came with my last modem. it allows you to do exactly as you are asking (may / may not be compatable with your system)

HTH

Deon
Supervoice: Shareware :( - www.supervoice.com/asp/downloads.asp

Hi ragez0r,

Here is some more information from the Microsoft Support website that may be of help:

Phone Dialer allows you to use a computer to dial phone numbers for voice telephone calls. It includes a telephone dial pad, user-programmable speed dials, and a call log.

Modems and Communications Tools: The Basics
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/rk25_mod.mspx

Microsoft Windows XP Phone Dialer Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...p/all/proddocs/en-us/dialer_whatis_intro.mspx

-- Tom

ragez0r

Deon555: thx.. this 1 looks like a winner but.. again.. testing my cell phone.. i hear nothing on both ends.. my head phones... and my cell phone either.. is it possible my modem isnt voice after all ???

kiwiguy: sorry.. i meant i couldnt find it.. thank u tho

lotuseclat79: thank you, very much appreciated...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online