1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

make automatically updating functions in word the same as excel does

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jakerrr, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakerrr

jakerrr Thread Starter

Is there any way to make functions in a word table that will automatically and instantly update other cells as you work the same as excel does.

We are creating a user form and want the information entered to update other cells automatically without the user having to click on the cell in question and select "update".

Thanks,
    John

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

If you're using code anyway, try incorporating the sub below I found.

HTH

Sub UpdateFields()
    Dim oStory As Range
    For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    oStory.Fields.Update
    If oStory.StoryType <> wdMainTextStory Then
    While Not (oStory.NextStoryRange Is Nothing)
    Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
    oStory.Fields.Update
    Wend
    End If
    Next oStory
    Set oStory = Nothing
    End Sub

3. jakerrr

jakerrr Thread Starter

I'm not sure how I would incorporate that into my table that I'm using in word. Do I somehow have to insert this information into each cell of the table? I'm really not sure how to use this. Can you elaborate and tell me exactly how to insert this code.

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Absolutely not. Code goes in a VBA (AKA macro) module.

I said "If you're using code anyway" because you said "We are creating a user form", which is a VBA object. Unless you meant something else by "user form", in which case please clarify.

5. jakerrr

jakerrr Thread Starter

Bomb #21,

Thanks for working through this with me. Yes, I think I have confused things with my terminology. Truely I'm a fat fingered hack when compared to the level of knowledge you are working on. Sorry if I'm asking pretty simple questions.

I've attached a copy of the Excel version of this form that we're trying to re-create in MS Word. I'm trying to get it to have all the same capabilities in MS Word. It was pretty easy for me to create in Excel, but I am totally stumped in how to get the same funcionalilty out of it when created in MS Word.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Thanks again for you help,
    John

6. jakerrr

jakerrr Thread Starter

Sorry....attachment didn't work. Here it is

Attached Files:

7. bomb #21

bomb #21

Sorry, have to ask: if it's up and running in Excel, why port it to Word?

8. jakerrr

jakerrr Thread Starter

2 reasons I have to try to make it in word:

1. It's not fully functional in excel because of the row height limit. it can't fit all the text it needs to in one cell (long naratives of up to 3 pages)
    2. My boss directed me to make it work in MS Word since it isn't fully functional in excel.

So, I'm trying to figure a way to make it work in either one. But I think I have to abandon excel on this one in order to accomodate the long narratives.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!