1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Make Dual-Boot Windows XP By Disk Cloning?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by poster54321, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poster54321

poster54321 Thread Starter

Hi,

Can I pull a single Win XP Pro SP3 drive put of a PC. Hardware clone the drive (using external SATA disk duplicator). Then pop both drives back into the same PC - and automatically be presented with choices expected for a working dual boot system?

Or would there some sort of C: drive Volume ID problem or conflict that would not self-resolve?

Cloning seems easier than twice installing and updating and updating and updating (as per MS support doc on Dual Boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306559 ).

I suppose a workaround might be to only keep one drive at a time physically connected....

Thanks. (Have been mostly a Mac person and am unfamiliar with the intricacies of Windows file/volume/boot management.)

2. user2339

user2339

your motherboard expects a particular disk in a particular location so i don't think you will have any success

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

This is not correct.

What you want to do is technically possible, but it's a violation of the Windows licensing agreement unless you own 2 full retail licenses for Windows XP that aren't being used on any other computers.

4. poster54321

poster54321 Thread Starter

Guess this isn't or wasn't a common XP thing. Suppose I'll just clone a clean install and keep it as a backup for now, since can't find enough information and no time to "play" with it.

(No worries DoubleHelix, our organization's comprehensive site licensing agreement with Microsoft covers any and all installs - even things like BootCamp.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!