1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Make Image frm WinXP or Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zygmo, Jan 13, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Hey, guys. I have just setup a dual boot computer with WinXP Pro SP3, and Win7 Pro. Please don't ask why I am still using WinXP...I DO have a valid reason. :) I tried putting WinXP into a Virtual Machine on Win7, but just did not like the way it was working. Never have been happy with VMs.

I use EaseUS to do images of my computers. My question is....where should I do my system image from: XP, or Win7, and does it matter?
    I installed XP first of course, and then Win7. Everything is working great, so I want to make sure I get this system saved before I start fooling around with it. :)

It seems like it should be done from Win7, since 7 took over the boot process. But that is using common sense which does not always apply to computers!

PS One other thing. I defragged just now, which I always do on conventional HDDs before making an inage. While doing that, I decided to defrag the partition Win7 is on while still in XP. It defragged WAAAAY faster than it normally takes to defrag from within Win7. Does this mean it did not actually work right? I am writing this on Win7 now and it seems to be working fine.
    Thanks.
    Dean

2. Sponsor

3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For any product support for XP will likely end before that for Windows 7. For that reason I would do the images in Windows 7.

5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    For a backup of the virtual machine, why not just copy it's folder?
    I used to transfer a Win2K virtual machine from one machine to another this way when I was using Virtual Box.

6. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Ummmm...ok. I guess my question was not fully understood. I know how to make images with EaseUS....been using it for years. Just never under a dual boot situation like this. And any ending of product support is not an issue for this either. I guess I will go with what seems obvious and do the image from Win7.

7. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

No....I got rid of the VM and dual booted instead. I know you can make snapshots of the VM OS installations.

8. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    My mistake.

For a dual boot, I think you'll have to image both together as they reside on the same partition.
    Rather than thinking of each as an image, consider the partition as your image.

Helpful?

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I use a bootable Macrium Reflect restore disk to make and restore Images of the whole hard drive. I store the images on an external Usb 3 hard drive. I think that's more reliable than making the image from inside an OS.

You will need a bootable restore disk if you can't boot into either OS after a hard disk crash.

10. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Actually JO, XP and Win 7 are on separate partitions on the same HDD. And yes, I will do a system, and a full drive image. Then do a restore from each, to see what happens. :) What you do on a dual boot with WinXP, and Win7 is: you partition the HDD, leaving some unallocated room, or another partition, for Win7. You install XP the normal way with the CD. Then, you reboot into your Win 7 DVD, choose to custom install on the unallocated space or partition, and load it the normal way. On about the second automatic restart during the install, it will open with the boot screen you will then have where you choose which OS to use. Choose Win7 again and continue the installation.

With EaseUS Image backup, you start the program in Windows, choose make system (or file, partition, or full drive) image, choose where to save it, and click start. It only takes about 3 minutes to image my full XP system, and about 12 minutes to do a full Win 7 system. However, who knows how long it will take to make a dual system image! We will soon see....I will post what I find out.

I am assuming Win7 put the little 100MB system partition on, but have not checked. But if it is there (and it doesn't have to be....you can install Win7 without it), that is partially why I think I need to make the EaseUS system image from within Win7, instead of XP.

11. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Of course. But I have never had to restore from a crash. I try a lot of free and shareware (and other), so now and then I need to "clean out the junk" with a restore. :)

I used Macrium for awhile, but ended up a couple of times with unusable restores. Have never had any problems with EaseUSTodo backup. Macrium gets better reviews, but I just have to go with my experience.
    I also have always saved my backups on external drives. Absolutely irreplaceable stuff on two HDDs, one off-site.

12. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    I'm familiar with Acronis especially with XP, but no experience with EaseUSToDO and only very little with Macrium.
    I seem to remember Acronis having the option to Image several partitions in unison, but I suspect the restore would be both at the same time.

These days with Win 7, I've grown accustomed to using the default system in Win 7 for drive imagining.
    Will it function ( from within Win 7 ) in imaging your XP partition as a separate file?
    ( not sure you would want to, just asking )

13. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    I ageee with Managed, I have been using Easeus for years as well and for dual boot systems it is best to create the image outside of windows with a rescue disk as I mentioned in post 2. This is easily created within Easeus by selecting create rescue disk.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have an XP and Win 7 computer. I use a boot CD to run Acronis True Image.
    Almost monthly I make an image of just the 7 partition.

Since I have Office 2007 on the XP partition and it is still getting patches, I make an image of just the XP partition about every 2 months.

Doesn't Easeus give the option of what partitions you image?

15. Zygmo

Zygmo Thread Starter

Well. Was I surprised!!!

My partitions are on a 450GB HDD
    I did a system backup within WinXP: 59 seconds to make.
    I did a partition backup of the two OS partitions within WinXP: 4 minutes and 29 seconds to make
    I did a system backup within Win7: 4 minutes and 36 seconds to make.
    I did a partition backup of the two OS partitions within Win7: 7 minutes and 13 seconds to make

When starting a system restore from within Win7: The program refused to complete, and restarted with no changes made.
    I then started a system restore from within WinXP. The program completed the restore in 3 minutes and 06 seconds!
    Everything works fine....both OSes boot up and run perfectly.

So I stopped right there. I am more than happy with the results when backing up and restoring with WinXP.
    Less than one minute to make the backup, and 3:06 to recover!! That is way quicker than I have ever been able to backup, and especially to recover a computer with just Win7 installed! And if necessary, I have the full partitions backed up to recover if needed. I used to boot with an EaseUS CD before I found out I could just start the process from within windows. So I am sure the CD will work for this.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, defragging the Win7 partition from within WinXP is much quicker than using the Win7 defragger.

I do a lot of work with Photoshop 7, and DC Art Forensics 8, which is one of the reasons I still use Win XP. I also try out a lot of free/shareware programs and you know where that can lead! PS7 has a 16bit installer which is virtually impossible to get to work on a 64bit Win7. I know, some people claim to be able to. I can get it to work in a VM within Win7, but just don't like the way those work. And, I am told there are programs that can reconfigure the installer to a 32bit. I do have a recent version of Photoshop for Win7, but am just too lazy (old?) to learn how to use it as well as I can PS7. So, with this dual system, when and if I feel the need to quit using WinXP on the net, I can just disable the lan and boot over to Win7 for that.
    Seems like a win win to me.

16. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    As I said before if the hard drive fails you will need an image of the whole drive to restore onto a new hard drive.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202874