1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

make my disk drive work please!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silversammy, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silversammy

silversammy Thread Starter

Hi, I have tried so many things to try make my CD/DVD disk drive to be recognised by my laptop. I have tried copy and pasting some text into notepad and adding to reg script as suggested on another forum. I have also tried to assigning a letter to the drive however the drive is not present so i can not do this. It worked a month ago and has just stopped working. It is not an external CD/DVD disk drive and i havent got a clue how to make it start working again after trying so many suggestions off different forums. Its an e-system laptop (intel core duo t080) with a toshiba CD/DVD disk drive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its not working then how are you using the laptop? Have you put in another drive? We need more info.

3. silversammy

My laptop is working it is my cd/dvd drive that is no longer recognised by computer. this is the drive that came with my laptop when i brought it and it was working on and off a month ago. When i close the drive you can hear the drive spinning and trying to read the disc however nothing else happens on the computer and when i look under MY COMPUTER the only drive present is the local disk drive.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. silversammy

I have just tried this is has not made any difference it tries to fix it but cannot for some reason.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you also tried the manual method in the article?

7. silversammy

I have followed the manual instructions however i can not find either the upper or lower filter option in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} menu to follow the instruction

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, does the drive appear in Device Manager? Does it have an error in Device Manager?

9. silversammy

It is presant on the device manager and it states in properties that the device is working properly.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK so it does appear in Device Manager and it reports it as working correctly? What is the name of the drive it reports in Device Manager?

Can you show us a screenshot of Device Manager with the CD\DVD drive showing and a screenshot of Disk Management?

11. silversammy

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You are incorrect, the CD\DVD drive does NOT show up in Device Manager. Its a physical problem with the drive since the drive does not show up at all. Try removing the drive from the laptop and then reinsert it. There may be a latch or a screw on the bottom of the laptop to release the drive. If you are unsure go to the manufacturers website and download a manual if there is one and it may have instructions on how to remove the drive.

13. silversammy

I can not find a latch of screw for the laptop and i have look all over the internet and cannot find a manual to assist me as my esystem 3115 does not have a manual installed on the drive. do you have any ideas on where i can find one.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are there any screws in the bottom of the area of the DVD drive?

15. silversammy

there are screws. I have unscrewed all the screws on the half of the laptop that the drive is in and most on the other side and was still unable to remove the drive. i do not want to remove all the screw incase i end up damaging my computer futher.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice