1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Make power button for laptop external

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I have an old laptop where the screen has gone.
    It's still usable.

I want to hide the laptop - it's looks like a massive brick. :eek:
    But... I can't really hide the laptop as I need there to open to press the on button!

Is there ANYWAY way I can make the power button be outside?
    That way, I can hide away the laptop. and have a super clean desktop :)

Thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The power button is most likely a momentary contact switch. The laptop would need to opened up and maybe partially disassembled to get to the solder terminals of the switch. A small, conductor cable would then be soldered to those terminals. The case may need to have a notch cut in it to get the cable out of the inside of the laptop. The other end of the cable would go to small enclosure with a push-button switch in it. If you do not have the skills to do this, you would need to find someone to do it for you.

EDIT: You may also need to do something with the switch that detects when the lid is closed if you wish to turn the laptop on with the lid closed. There is a possibility the laptop may not turn on or boot completely with the lid closed.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the make and full model details of the laptop, then we can see if you can simply disable the power off switch when the lid is closed, which could be all you need to do.

4. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys.
    it's a satellite pro L20.
    let me know what you think

problem 1: the screen has gone. i'm having trouble running linux on an external monitor.

problem 2: opening up and soldering and dodging the close detection switch - might as well get a desktop. LOL. :)

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What type of solution are your expecting to get that does not involve opening up the case or modifying the power switch wiring?

Use a strong double sided tape or some glue to attach a lever mechanism by the power switch. The lever is configured so that pulling on a string at one end of the lever will press the power button with the other end.

OM2 likes this.
  6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I've done this with an older Toshiba model when I used it's motherboard to make a Digital Picture Frame (DPF). I soldered 2 wires from the built-in power switch to a 'push to make' switch soldered onto the top of a Usb socket on the motherboard. I can use the new switch to power the DPF on or off.

It's not very difficult if you know how to use a soldering iron.

What Linux distro are you using ?

OM2 likes this.
  7. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@managed... just tinkering at the moment.
    Mint looks great.
    Moved onto ArchLinux - found out there seems to be a few more steps than just burning the ISO?

other replies: thanks guys. i think i'll consider soldering if i can get output to a monitor.
    i'm having trouble with this. the screen on the laptop has gone. i used to used with an external monitor. now can't get past the bootup. fn + f5 is supposed to output to external - but not sure if this works for the first startup pages.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If the laptop's screen is physically missing it will usually use the external monitor by default, at least Windows will I think. Not sure about Linux, might depend on the particular distro you use.

(I just remembered I only needed to solder in one wire, the switches ground was the Usb socket it was soldered to).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice