1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Make user account Administrator appear on login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Orurt, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orurt

Orurt Thread Starter

I am attempting to get my built in Administrator user account to show up on the login screen.

When I look at the properties, I do not see anywhere where I can assign a password to it. Nor, am I able to activate it to appear on the login screen. (Perhaps there is a different way altogether to login to it?)

The user account that I am using has administrator priviledges and shows up in the Administrators group along with Administrator. So, I think it should be the same thing as using the actual Administrator account.

However, when I try to grant permissions for users on another computer on the LAN, the Local Area Connection Properties box does not open up the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

And that is where I am stuck. I have no idea as to how to get into item and am wondering if I need to login to the Actual Administrator user account.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can add Administrator to the Welcome screen using regedit. You would open regedit then navigate to this registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>Current Version>Winlogon>>Special Accounts>User Lists.

Create a new DWORD value and name it “Administrator“ (without the quotes). Then modify the DWORD value making it '''1".

Administrator will show on the Welcome screen after a reboot.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

There is nothing to open up there. Only a check box to enable/disable it.
    Permissions are granted on the share itself.
    See this KB for more info:
    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice