1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a 98 a FTP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by computer_pet, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Hi.
    Correct me if I am wrong about anyhing I write as I am very ne to FTP Servers, and anything like.

I have a small website that is using the space my ISP gave me. Except I have got about 15mb left and I need more space. I have a old 98 computer that I am not really using and was wondering if it was possible to make that where all my files are stored, so that I can have 6Gb webspace. I wan't to also get a web address because at the moment it is just an extension of my ISP. So I think you have to first register the domain you wan't. I'm in Australia so I think I will use http://www.netregistry.com.au. I have a static IP address that my ISP gave me. But when registering with Net Registry it ask's for "Primary/Secondary NameServer's Hostname" What is that.

I think I'm OK about getting the domain except what program/OS do I use as a FTP server. If somehow I direct the website to the 98 machine what program will send the information back? Also I use FrontPage, is it possible to install the server extensions on the computer.

Subdomains!
    Can I have them, and does that require to register, another domain?

Alot help would be great, and anything else I would need to make the server would be great aswell.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I sure don't have the answers and it's a challenge to decide what forum you would likely get most knowledgeable answers in.

Since you are looking to set up your Win98 machine as a server I'm thinking the folks in the Networking forum might have the most experience with this. But Web and E-mail and Development are also relevant.

I'm going to move this to Networking. If it dies there, just ask for it to be moved, or after a few days post another topic in one of the other forums. Good luck.

3. computer_pet

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

After you register your domain you will then need to pay someone to do DNS (Domain Name System) for you. This is what translates your Domain name to your IP address. Your ISP may be able to do this for you but there is also other providers on the internet that do this as well.

Subdomains do not require to be registered but you will need to set them up with your DNS provider. It is rather easy with my provider. I just have record with a Wildcard that basically says anything before my domain name gets redirected to my IP address.

But now you have to setup your Web server to provide Virtual Name Servers. You are going to have to learn how to use IIS or Apache to do this.

I dont know much about running this stuff on Windows because I use Linux. But here is a list of free ftp server tools for Windows.

http://www.webattack.com/freeware/server/fwftpserver.html

5. computer_pet

My ISP gave me: one IP, Gateway, Subnett, and two DNS servers. Could I use the DNS servers my ISP gave me?

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You are misunderstanding me. The DNS servers addresses your ISP gave you are for your computers to navigate the internet.

Call your ISP in the moring and tell them that you are planning on setting up your own web server and then ask them if they can Provide DNS services for you.

Or do a Google search for DNS services. I use NO-IP.com because I do not have a Static IP address. I only have Dynamic. But they can also do DNS for you if you have a Static IP address. It is pretty Cheap. I think I pay $25 a year.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have registered at a couple of the dynamic DNS services, since they're free. :D My D-Link router is using https://www.dyndns.org, since that's what it supports, and I also have a NO-IP account.

With either of these accounts, you establish a URL that will remain the same, and a small client runs on your connection and keeps your IP address updated in the DNS database whenever your IP address changes.

8. computer_pet

I don't think I will turn my 98 into a Server anymore as, the cost of being on the internet all the time is more expensive then just using a actual company like "hostingbay" As I am only on a 1.5gb per month plan and is charging me at 0.05 per 1mb over my limit. The website that I am publishing would probably use about 2Gb transfer each month so I don't wan't to spend too much money on the website.

So what I’m thinking I’ll do is first register my domain with net registry, then purchase a "Hostingbay" account where all my Web Pages and all files will be kept. I have looked at many host’s and this one I think is the bet for me, but if anyone thinks there is a better one then “Hostingbay” please tell me (it must be Australian). Also if there are any further steps involved in publishing a host please tell me.

[Since this is not “Making a 98 to a FTP” should I create a new thread?]

Thanks for peoples help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice