1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a Acer One 720 notebook semi useful...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dandan5, Nov 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Dandan5

Dandan5 Thread Starter

So I dug up a 10 year old Acer One.
    I need it to do very basic things and I've done my best to update/fix things but I'm out of ideas. Runs on Windows 7 Family E.
    What I've done so far.
    - Total of 95 updates for Windows 7 completed.
    - Deleted all non-essential software
    - Disabled start-up programs and services that frees up the CPU.
    - Tried to do a defrag but it jams at 28%

It still tops out at 100% of of CPU usage for very basic tasks ( like starting Google chrome)
    Even if it doesn't max out the RAM it still takes sometimes 10 minutes to do anything (like deleting software)
    I get that this little old thing has limits but is there anything else I can do to make this notebook semi useful? Something to boost performance? Speed it up?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

There were several models of Acer One with different processors. Could you run our SysInfo utility so we can take a look the hardware? Just copy and paste the output into your reply, https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since support for Window 7 ends in January 2020, I wouldn't waste time trying to get Windows 7 to work.
    I've never heard of that. There are 6 different versions of Windows 7 : Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise.

You do better trying some linux live distros on a USB stick to see what likes your hardware and you'd feel comfortable browsing on.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Try a 3rd party software for defragging.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice