1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a Audio CD with a txt or doc file on it?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Gary R, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Will be trying to make a music cd pretty soon, and was wondering if its possible to put a text or doc file on it too and have it be readable on any system as a audio CD, but also be able to put it in a computer's CD player, and read the text (or doc file with a word processor.
    Basically, the file would describe each track as to title, year recorded (if known), personell on the track where known.
    Would like to do it in case a page (or the insert) I printed out of the tracks & info was lost/damaged I'd still have a copy I could print off the CD.
    --
    Using: Adaptec DirectCD, and Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.
    All other system info's in the Signature.

2. slipe

slipe

I just happened to have the Sony CD Extreme manual up. Here are the instructions for doing it in the Sony/Prassi. Should be similar with EZCD:

Mixed Mode CDs were devised as a way to combine data and music tracks on the same
    CD. A Mixed Mode CD is a “Single-session” CD with the first “track” being a data track,
    and the other tracks on the disc being standard audio tracks. The downside to Mixed
    Mode CDs is that some older CD players mistake the data track for an audio track and
    try to play it, usually resulting in loud static or silence.
    Making a Mixed Mode CD is a little complicated. It involves creating an image file to
    hold the data first, then creating an audio CD with the first track being the image file
    (for the data) and the remaining tracks as audio.
    • From the Tool Bar, click the New Data Disc button, or from the File pulldown menu
    select New Job -> New Data Disc. From your keyboard you can also type Ctrl+D
    to start a new data CD job.
    • “Drag & Drop” the files you want on the Mixed Mode CD into the Job Set-up
    Window, or use the Add Folder or Add File buttons to add files and folders.
    • After you have added all the files and folders you want, right click your mouse in
    the Job Set-up Window area. From the pop up menu, select Tools -> Build Track
    Image. Save the track image.
    • Start a new audio CD job. From the Tool Bar, click the New Audio Disc button, or
    from the File pulldown menu select New Job -> New Audio Disc. From your keyboard
    you can also type Ctrl+A to start a new audio CD job.
    • “Drag & Drop” the Track Image file you created into the Job Set-up Window (the
    track image will automatically be the first track.)
    • “Drag & Drop” MP3, .wav, and WMA files from your hard disk into the track list. You
    can also add files by clicking on the Add Audio File button, or by using the A d d
    With File Finder feature that will scan your hard drive for all MP3, .wav, and WMA
    files. Click the R e f re s h button to re f resh the display if it doesn’t update automatically.
    • The order in which the files are listed in the track list are the order they will play on
    the finished CD. You can move songs up or down in the track list by selecting them
    and then clicking on the Move Up The Selected Track and Move Down the
    Selected Track buttons. You can delete tracks from the compilation by selecting the
    tracks and clicking the Delete Selected Tracks button.
    • Your CD Recorder should automatically be selected as a Recorder (red arrow pointing
    to it). Use the Select/Deselect as Recorder button on the tool bar to select the
    proper recorder if you have more than one.
    • Once all the audio files and track have been added and edited as desired, select the
    number of copies you would like to make from the selected Mixed Mode CD job.
    • Select the Speed for the recording (default is Max.)
    • You can choose to Test and Record (default), Test, or Record.
    • Insert a blank disc into the CD Recorder and click the red record button to start the
    recording.

h. Creating a CD Extra (Enhanced CD)

CD Extra is another way of putting data and audio tracks on the same disc, but has a
    distinct advantage over Mixed Mode discs. CD Extra is a “Multi-session” disc with the
    audio tracks in the first session, and the data track in the second session. The advantage?
    Consumer CD players like car decks and portable stereos will only recognize the
    first session on a disc, so there is never a chance that the player will try and play the
    data track as sometimes happens with Mixed Mode discs.
    Like Mixed Mode, recording a CD Extra Disc is a two step process. The audio session is
    recorded first and left “open”, and then the data session is recorded in Mode 2 XA and
    the disc is closed.
    • Start a new audio CD job. From the Tool Bar, click the New Audio Disc button, or
    from the File pulldown menu select New Job -> New Audio Disc. From your keyboard
    you can also type Ctrl+A to start a new audio CD job.
    • Your CD Recorder should automatically be selected as a Recorder (red arrow pointing
    to it). Use the Select/Deselect as Recorder button on the tool bar to select the
    proper recorder if you have more than one.
    • “Drag & Drop” MP3, .wav, and WMA files from your hard disk into the track list. Yo u
    can also add files by clicking on the Add Audio File button, or by using the A d d
    With File Finder f e a t u re that will scan your hard drive for all MP3, .wav, and WMA
    files. Click the R e f re s h button to re f resh the display if it doesn’t update automatically.
    • The order in which the files are listed in the track list is the order they will play on
    the finished CD. You can move songs up or down in the track list by selecting them
    and then clicking on the Move Up The Selected Track and Move Down the
    Selected Track buttons. You can delete tracks from the compilation by selecting the
    tracks and clicking the Delete Selected Tracks button.
    • Click the Recording Options button in the Job Set-up Window. Set the recording
    mode to Disc-at-Once not closed (Session at Once).
    • Select the Speed for recording (default is Max.)
    • Insert a blank disc into the recorder and click the red record button.
    • After the disc has recorded successfully, re-insert it into the recorder and start a new
    Data CD job. From the Tool Bar, click the New Data Disc button, or from the File
    pulldown menu select New Job -> New Data Disc. From your keyboard you can
    also type Ctrl+D to start a new data CD job.
    • “Drag & Drop” the files you want on the CD Extra disc into the Job Set-up Window,
    or use the Add Folder or Add File buttons to add files and folders.
    • Give the disc a Volume Label if you want (default is the date and time the disc was
    created).
    • Click the Recording Options in the Job Set-up Window. Change the recording type
    to Track-at-Once closed. Set the Mode to Mode 2 XA. Click OK to close the dialog
    box.
    • Set the Speed for recording (default is Max.)
    • Click the red record button to start the recording.

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

A little more info on what I'm trying to do with a Audio CD with a readable text (or .doc) file on it if possible.
    --
    What I am wanting to do is copy a batch of 78 RPM records (circa 1905 - 30) to CD. I'd be going Record Player > Tape recorder > audio input on Comp.'s soundcard.
    BUT the problem which has brought the idea to a screeching halt is HOW to name each track on the CD & who it's by & date, as well as putting a seperate .txt or .doc file on it as I described in first post :(
    I have the Freeware RealPlayer 8.0 BASIC version, but don't see any way to title CD tracks with it... :(

4. slipe

slipe

I’m passing stuff on from the Sony manual because it is online and I can copy/paste the info. Any mastering software should have this capability. Once you have the music on your HD in wave form, EZ CD Creator should work the same way.

This will read out in any CD player that reads CD text from the track. All players that work on the computer do and many entertainment players will read CD text.

Did you read the first post? It seems clear that a CD player will not read music recorded between data files. Your only choice is CD Text or a mixed mode or CD extra CD with your playlist all together in one text file.

From the Sony manual:

Adding CD Text Information
    CD Text allows you to enter the actual song names, performer, and composer for
    the Disc and each track. During playback on a compatible player, you will see the
    song names and artists displayed instead of the usual “Track 1, Track 2”, etc. To
    use CD Text, your CD recorder must support this function. To find out if it does,
    select the drive in the Drive Status Window and “right click” the mouse. Select
    Disc Explorer and Drive Properties. If your CD recorder can write CD Text, you
    will see “CD Text read/write” in the drives details on the top of the window.
    Furthermore, discs recorded with CD Text will only display CD Text information
    when played back on players that display the CD Text logo. The audio will playback
    just fine on a non-CD Text player, you just won’t see the artist information displayed.

To add CD Text information to your compilation, click the CD Text button in the Job
    Set-up Window (abc button)

Click on the Disc field and click Edit.

Enter the disc information (note: Title and Performer are mandatory, composer is
    optional). If you want this information to be used for all the tracks, click the appropriate
    boxes next to Title, Performer, and Composer. Click OK when done. To add
    CD Text information to a track, select the Track, then click Edit. Repeat these
    steps for the other tracks in the compilation.

Note: If you have added CD Text information for one track, you must add it for
    every track on the disc (including the Disc information). Also, in Recording
    Options it must be set for Disc-at-Once Closed.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/downloads/cdx_manual102500.pdf

5. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ok, looks like what I want to do is going to be pretty difficult if feasible.
    Heard 2nd hand of a program called Nero, which supposedly does what I want, but is around USA$125 I believe :(
    I have the manual for the CD/RW in my comp., but they tried to compress as much info into as possible in as few words as possible :) so its pretty sketchy on if I can do what I'd like to do....

6. slipe

slipe

The choices offered by the Sony are the only ones available. You can put CD text for each track or you can have a single text file on a mixed mode or CD extra disc. Anything else and a CD player isn’t going to play but one track if any at all.

You can download a demo version of Nero that will work free for 30 days. Try it first: http://www.nero.com/en/download.htm

Nero offers CD text, mixed mode and CD extra – no magic.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice