1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a bootable USB for Mac OS X Mountain lion on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Assass1n, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Assass1n

Assass1n Thread Starter

I'm trying to make a bootable USB for Mac OS X Mountain lion on Windows 7.

My Macbook has OS X Lion on it but something happened to it and I can't log in therefore I've been using Windows 7 on it via Bootcamp.

Is there a way to make the bootable USB on Windows 7?

I've already got the Mountain Lion DMG but I've tried numerous methods to open it such as using PowerISO but I get the message "The file format is invalid or unsupported"

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

DMG is not a Windows image format, though some Windows programs can handle them.

But just opening the image and copying to USB will not make a bootable USB. It needs a boot sector installed, too. Do you have directions on how to accomplish what you are doing?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What seems to be the Login issue?

4. Headrush

Headrush

5. tompatrick

tompatrick

6. Headrush

Headrush

7. Assass1n

Assass1n Thread Starter

When I try open it using UltraISO I get "Invalid or unknown image file format"

8. Assass1n

Assass1n Thread Starter

Tried using the DMG2IMG program but all that happens is that it makes a IMG file that is 0 KB....

9. Headrush

Headrush

Did you drop the DMG file onto the DMG2IMG program?

I just tried it and it worked OK.

P.S. I overlooked that part where you mentioned you where trying to put this on a USB stick.
    Does you MacBook have an optical drive?

10. sokratus

sokratus

I am having the same problem. I was upgrading to OS X Mountain Lion from Lion, but something happened and my computer is now stuck at gray screen apple logo spinning wheel. I can surely enter in the recovery mode but I dont want to delete anything or lose my data. Now I have other windows computer on which I have downloaded the OS X Lion and I was kinda hoping that I can create a bootable disk on my windows for my macbook, so that I can re-install lion. Now I just downloaded the DMG2IMG software and looking online it suggests that I can convert the DMG to ISO, but how will that help in creating a bootable disk or USB (most preferably USB)?

11. sokratus

sokratus

I got my problem fixed. I downloaded vmware image of Lion on windows. Created a bootable USB of Lion over there. Installed Lion on my mac and mac started to work. Then I created bootable USB on mac for mountain lion. Now everything is working fine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063377