1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

making a bridge

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nubuilder, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

I have two D-Link DI-524 wireless routers. They are both on the same workgroup.

Can I make one of them a bridge or something to extend a network? (if so, how)

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Cannot configure as bridge. You can connect them with ethernet and configure the second one as a switch and (2nd) wireless access point. Do Advanced Search for 'connect two SOHO' to find a JohnWill post on how to do so.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Or read it here! :D

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

4. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

The first router is IP: 192.168.0.1 SubNet: 255.255.255.0

The second router is IP: 192.168.0.2 SubNet: 255.255.255.0

The first router has DHCP server enabled, the second one has it disabled.

The internet goes into the first router through the WAN port.

Did you check out my attachment on the first reply?

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

That would be crazy!

As far as I know, the way to add APs is to link them via CAT5. You currently have them connected via wireless.

You can try and make the "zones" the same # and see what happens.
    Make everything else the same as far as wireless goes, SSID, WEP(if setup), etc.

If your computer pulls an IP when near or close to the AP, then you are good to go.

Im pretty sure if you make the zone #s different it definatly wont work because they are not talking to each other ont he same zones.

6. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

What is " ZONE #"?

What is " if your computer pulls and IP when near or close to the AP"?

What do these mean?

7. jhoegl

jhoegl

There are zones applied to wireless, 1-6 are the zones I believe, maybe larger. The default is set to 6. Zones are setup to allow multiple APs to be setup but not conflict with each other in fighting for a computer. however these zones are setup via a wired connection back to a router somewhere. Thats how multiple APs work in say a College environment.

When I say pulling an IP, I mean that if your computer is obtaining an IP address from DHCP server (Wireless router 1) while your computer is connected to (wireless router 2), it means that Wireless 2 is talking to wireless 1.

8. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

Are "zones" channels?

I will post a link to pictures of both setups for the routers tomorrow night around 6:00pm CST.

Until then, have a nice day/night.;)

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Why not just add some kind of wireless repeater to make your wireless bubble bigger? I don't know if this make/model has a repeater mode to use it with current hardware but it semms like a much easier solution.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The D-Link DI-524 can not be configured as a wireless repeater or extender.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Blah then get some new hardware. What your trying to do with what you have won't be able to be done.

12. jhoegl

jhoegl

yes, zones are channels. I could not think of the proper name.

13. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The routers in question, the D-Link DI-524 models, only operate in gateway mode. They have no bridge or repeater mode, and won't work in this situation.

I did finally look at your diagram. ;)

15. nubuilder

nubuilder Thread Starter

So in other words I'm SOL?:eek: :( :confused:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice