1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a copy of Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pMo, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

I got a computer with Vista on it, but didn't get any cds... just got a sticker with the CD key on it. I'm wondering how to make an actual cd copy of my Vista for reformatting which I like to do about once a year

2. StringJunky

StringJunky

what make computer do you have?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Depending on the MAke and Model computer, you should be able to reinstall everything to it's factory specs with out the Vista disc. Although we would need tro know the make and model first before we can help you with that process. Also some Makes of computer allow you to create a recovery disc set. HP and Compaq for example allow you to do this from the all programs menu in windows (but only one time). With HP and Compaq computers you can also purchase the Set Up Discs from HP/Compaq. for as little as $15 (US).

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you have an External HDD and Acroins True Image ...
    You can backup your system .. And recover it back to exactly the way it was when you made the backup.

The best time to do this is after a fresh install and when you get it configured the way you like it with all the updates.

I've never had to use my recovery DVD yet.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can't actually make a disk of your "Vista" but you can use any Vista dvd that is the exact same version and your product code from the tower if you really had to.

6. pMo

pMo Thread Starter

I have a custom made computer from NCIX.com - do you need to know specific components?

If I reformat I don't really wanna restore it back to exactly how it was... just save the important files and do a fresh install.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You should've got a CD/DVD copy of the OS as originally installed ???
    I would be hollering at NCIX .... Where's my Restore CD/DVD ???

But .. a backup of an old/used system is better than no Backup.
    You can also mount a backup "Image" in an external ...
    as a virtual HDD and read/extract any data that was in it.

As I said .. The best time to make a backup is after a fresh install, with all the updates, your favorite programs loaded and configured the way you want it.

I backup my personal data independent of my system backups.
    I always restore back to the last Fresh install, make a few new updates .. and make a new "fresh" backup.
    I keep backups of the first couple of fresh install versions ... and usually the last three versions (or more)

I can restore back to a fresh install ..
    and the several hours of work it takes to get it the way I want it ...
    in about 15 minutes ... with only a few new updates needed.

8. tex0gen

tex0gen

Most PC's now do not come with recovery disc's. The come with a partition with the recovery on it which to me is pointless if the HDD gets damaged or corrupt. It means buying the discks from the product manafacturer again.

I downloaded vista [or did i?]
    Put it on the disc and then changed the license key to the one written on the sticker.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Actually you should phrase that as "Most brand name manufactured systems come with only a Restore Partition and no software but that is :
    Reason # 1 to buy from a local builder!

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

But, most of the OEM systems I'm familiar with, That have a recovery partition ..
    also provide a routine that will allow you to make your own recovery CD/DVDs

It's in the fine print on page 256, addendum 53 of the manual that you didn't get either.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah and most people either don't make them or if they do I have yet to see one work either.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice