1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a 'copy' of Windows 98 SE?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by FZWG, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Appreciate some assistance.

Helping a friend who wants to ‘make a copy of Windows’ that is installed on his PII 333MHz 288MB RAM W98SE computer. The PC has a CD-ROM, Floppy Disk Drive, and a Zip 100MB Drive.

He does have the W98SE Product Key, however, the W98SE CD was damaged and is not usable.

W98SE was not installed from the hard disk drive.

Not aware that one can just back up or in his words, ‘make a copy of Windows’, installed on his PC.

Is his best option to copy the contents of the hard disk drive to another hard disk?

Any ideas about other options?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

When you say that the CD was damaged, do you mean scratched?

3. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

No, his grandchild got a hold of it while it was on his desk, and broke it. Wish it were just scratched!! :)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Nothing superglue can't fix ;)

Without the cab files being on the hard drive, I think the best bet is a hard drive to hard drive copy.

5. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

If he owns the liscence key he can just borrow a genuine copy of 98 but use his own key when requested

6. ~Candy~

I'm not sure if that will work on an install on a blank hard drive.........

7. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

It should work ok, we do it allot for customers machines if we have to do a full "Wipe", we use the shops copy of the OS but the key that belongs to the cust, as the key is for the "END USER"

The Key is not stored on the 98 cd There is an algorithm on the CD that will only accept genuine keys issued by M$

8. ~Candy~

Thanks, must try it sometime, I have 2 separate 98 cds and I think by accident I grabbed the wrong case and it was not accepted.

9. XbrvhrtX

XbrvhrtX

I think the only time it did not work was when we assumed the cust was using SE but it was just plain 98 of course we tried to load his key on SE and it would not accept it.

Another one to look out for is if the machine originaly had 95 and they used the 98 upgrade disk using the 95 key as "proof of purchase" but really doubt you will come accross that much now :D

10. raybro

raybro

Hi XbrvhrtX.. Regarding the question of using a Win98SE upgrade with a Win95 full version for certification. Got that particular situation in the following thread

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163505

Would you mind checking it out and giving your recommendation. As best as I can determine he has used a Win98 upgrade from (I think) Win95 and now wants to upgrade to Win98SE and do a fresh install. I've recommended he use the Win95 CD for verification with the Win98SE upgrade. I'm getting the impression you are saying that may not work. 'preciate any comments you may have

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a legal copy with broken media, I doubt very seriously that there would be any issue in copying someone's W98 CD and using it. You are entitled to make a backup copy of your CD for your own use, you just delayed the operation! :D

12. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The CD ended up in his grandson's hands, and when he found out, it was too late. A chunk of it was gone, and was not found! Don't think that CD can be repaired.

I have a W98SE CD also, so if it is legal, I could copy win98 to the hard drive. Sounds easy enough. Did not mention it to him because I thought it was not legal.

Going beyond the W98SE CD issue, believe that what he also wants to do is to back up his entire hard drive. Not too long ago he had some big time problems with a virus, and he had to reinstall everything. Don't think grandpa wants to pay someone do that again for him.

As far as backing up the hard drive, what would be a good way to do this? There are programs like Norton Ghost, Drive Image, etc., but, is there a way to get the job done without purchasing this type of software?

Thanks in advance for the help.

13. ~Candy~

Do you have two hard drives available? If so, something like Maxtor's drive utility will do it.

14. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

He does not have two hard drives, though. He could purchase a small (4GB) and that should not be too expensive, but, what he really wants to do is back up all the contents of the HDD to either Zip disks or CDs. The HDD has 3.87GB of used space.

Don't think would want to tackle all of that on 100MB Zips, even compressed.

Guess spanning over CDs would probably be the best route. Have an external USB CD-R drive that could be used, but still would need some software to make an image of the HDD to CDs.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You'd probably be surprised to know that you can have the entire Norton System Works Pro 2003 for $10 from NSW Pro 2003 for $10. At this price, you can then afford to buy a $60 120gig drive after rebate, and a $30 USB 2.0 case for it, and have a real backup that GHOST will use. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice