Making a custom built server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crcook84

I’m thinking of rebuilding a server I made for myself. Originally, I had an Antec tower that had 2 drive bays that could hold three 3.5 drives. I put 9 drives in it because the motherboard could support 6 and I had a spare SATA PCI card from another project that could hold 4 drives. One of the drives was the boot drive. So, I mounted that in a 5.25 bay to make sure I kept that reserved. That left 2 drives that, basically, sat at the bottom of the tower. Now, I would leave that as is because it works most of the time.

However, each individual drive requires it’s own power connector. (duh) The problem lies in the fact that I ran out of SATA power connectors from the power supply and am utilizing the molex connectors and daisy chaining some SATA connectors together to power the rest of the hard drives. Most of the time, it works great. However, every once in a while, one of the hard drives loses power and I have to go in and try to reseat all the hard drives just to figure out where it came loose at. Sometimes, I also lose the partition and have to use my partition recovery software to try and save as much data as I can.

I found some backplane bays that got me thinking about a better means by which I can make my own custom server:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00TL4US8K/
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009I87Q2U/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGZ42SM/
I like how these are setup to have 3 or 4 drives powered by a single power cable. It makes my power issue less complicated. However, I could only find one that does 3.5 hard drives. Does anyone know of a backplane I can get (I hope I'm naming it right) that does three or four 3.5 SATA hard drives?

As for why I don’t just buy a server or NAS RAID and put my hard drives in that, I wouldn’t say that my data is so valuable that I can’t afford to lose it. So, I don't want to dish out for and expensive system. Plus, I just don’t like the idea of a RAID. I’m sure that, given the proper hardware, a decent RAID hardware/software system isn’t going to fail on me. But, if it does, I lose everything because I can’t just use a partition recovery wizard to try and save the partition.

Yes there are PSU's with 8+ SATA connectors. A quick search of Newegg and you can find some models to compare. I would avoid getting those molex to sata converters. I've used them in the past, they do their job, but I've had 2 go up in smoke...literally. Each time, the connectors on the converter burned on the SATA end to the HD. Luckily the HD's didn't get toasted and the PSU survived, but the adapter was all melted.

It smoked enough that it set off the fire alarm in my laundry room where my server is located.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online