1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making a home network drive.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by muckmail, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

If you have a router connected to several computers can a person create a shared
    drive using a remote USB drive?
    Thank you,

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What is a "remote USB drive"? If you have a network of computers, you can share any drive you want whether it be internal or USB connected. I don't get the "remote" thing. Are you talking about accessing something over the Internet when you're away from home?

3. bobroosth

bobroosth

There are some routers (as in this one from Netgear) that allow your attach a USB drive and share it to the network. If you don't have a router with that feature, you need Network Attached Storage (NAS). Seagate, Western Digital, et al, produce such drives.

4. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have a Tendnet TEW-6528brp router I have been using for about a year. Is there a way you can do a network drive with this router? I looked at a best buy Netgear N600 router and I bought it but
    I have not open the package. I have not decide if I will keep it. I think the Netgear N600 router
    is a much better router than the Trendnet router I have. Is that the case?

5. bobroosth

bobroosth

Assuming you mean this one, it does not have the required feature. No opinion on the quality of the router.

6. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Is the Netgear N600 router a good all around router? From looking at the box it apprears
    to have a USB port for a drive.

7. bobroosth

bobroosth

You'll find more information at the netgear site. Yes, it is a solid router. More features than any of us will use.

8. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Form looking at the package it appears that it should be a nice router. It was a Best Buy
    black friday deal. I think I will keep it and use it instead of the Tendnet rounter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice