1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

making a new bootable harddrive from an existing copy using Partition Magic 8

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rangr_bob, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rangr_bob

rangr_bob Thread Starter

I have a computer with two physical drives, a 30G and a 160G. What I am attempting to do is to copy the Windows XP partition from the 30G drive to the 160G, make the 160G drive the bootdrive, then remove the 30G one. I am attempting to do this using Partition Magic 8.0 but so far I am having no luck. I copied the partition using Partition Magic, then swapped the drive letters of the two disks, made the new copy of the partition on the 160G HD Active, then rebooted and disabled the 30G drive in the BIOS. This did not work; the system hangs soon after the POST where it should begin showing the boot screen. I didn't really expect it do work, and I have since re-enabled the 30G in the BIOS and subsequently swapped the drive letters back to their original state. What I am wondering is, can you actually do what I am trying using Partition Magic 8? I only see the option to copy a partition. It makes no mention of creating a clone of an original drive so I am thinking that maybe i need a different piece of software to accomplish my goal? Thanks for any help in advance.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I thought the copy drive to drive option did that, but it's been a while since I tried it. Folks here swear by Acronis TrueImage to do what you're asking. I guess it's about $30 available for download from www.newegg.com.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do a repair-install of Windows on the new drive and this should make all of the little things right that have to. Actually Acronis True Image is a much better way to go well worth the $30.00 bucks or so....

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it will work if you don't change any drive letters and make the copy a primary partition and set it as Active and then set the bios to boot from it.

5. rangr_bob

rangr_bob Thread Starter

thanks for the advice all.

i went ahead and used Acronis Trueimage. worked like a charm!(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/622782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice