1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

making a recovery cd

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lucidity, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lucidity

lucidity Thread Starter

i need to replace my hdd but have no windows disk for new install any way to use the recovery partition to make a boot disk?

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Whats the model of the pc and the operating system installed

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Why are you starting a new thread when you already have this thread going?

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. lucidity

lucidity Thread Starter

well i making new thread because none answer the other is diff question about a diff operating system and since you are the one to ask me a ? last on other thread wich i answered why u ask me that when you havent replied to the other :S

5. lucidity

lucidity Thread Starter

and i have a gateway gt5668e windows vista home premium

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

lucidity- Flavalee replied to your thread here- http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/972246-canot-get-network-adapter-my.html

however that thread is now Closed as you were asking about XP, which your computer did not come with, and now you are interested in replacing the licensed version of Windows, Vista, that the computer came with.

Since you are now interested in replacing the original operating system, Vista, on your computer I will close your other 2 threads about fixing the XP install you had on the computer that was running Vista.

I am leaving this thread Open, please continue here.

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

After briefing myself with the history of the Machine involved ..I need to update here/The procedure for a factory recovery provided in the link will not work as XP had been installed on the machine thereby overwriting the factory MBR...Recovery disks will be needed to reinstall vista.

I am guessing the disk{s} will run about 20 bucks or so if the mfg will provide them.

I assume your drive is good as you wanted to "create boot disks" with it....inferring a healthy hard drive.

Not sure why you think you need a new HDD.

To be honest at this point you have nothing to lose by trying to get xp finished and going...since you have over written the factory MBR and have no vista disks.............................
    BUT........IMO there is nothing wrong with vista and would be worth spending the 20 bucks or so for the disks.

SO........I would order the disks for vista and toy with xp while you were waiting for the disks to arrive...if no luck then toss on Ubuntu....supports most hardware right after a fresh install.

Then when the vista disks arrive...install vista....if you still have interest in XP...run it under a virtual machine

9. lucidity

lucidity Thread Starter

well i need new hard drive because the one with vista installed is failing goes blue screen shuts down pc friend gave me new hdd wich i put xp on but couldnt get drivers to work for it the one with vista works for about half hour or so (but the recovery partition is good) before malfunction not sure whats going on maybe over heat or something as my pc just turns off nvr did so after i put hdd with xp on it so im pretty sure is the hdd. so i had multi threads because i wanted to either find a way to to make a recovery cd to put on new hdd or how to get xp to work on new hdd so i wish u wouldnt have closed it and he has not replied after answering his last question

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A bad hard drive doesn't make a computer shut off. I can't tell from your post whether or not the behavior continued with whatever drive you attempted to replace it with.

Computers generally power off due to heat, and replacing the hard drive will do nothing to resolve that.

11. lucidity

lucidity Thread Starter

the hdd i replaced it with fixed it hasnt shut off with it in so idk overheating was my guess but idk

12. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If you havent put xp on the drive that has vista then follow the directions in the link to do a recovery...A blue screen can happen for many reasons.

What are the errors with the blue screen?....Have you checked the ram?..faulty ram and vista will blue screen and shut down..XP is much more tolerant of bad ram.

Run a memory test

Follow this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...y-using-windows-vista-memory-diagnostic-tool/

Then check the hard drive

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d0d51d4dad651110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

This will put you at ease with your hdd...the symptoms you describe do not usually indicate a bad hdd however.

BEFORE you do the factory recover..you must copy any pictures music etc that you want to keep as they will be gone.

Do NOT interrupt the factory recovery....there will be long periods of times that the machine will appear to be doing nothing....powering off the machine during the recovery can leave you with an un bootable machine and well as a damaged factory MBR making another big mess for you to have to deal with.

After the machine completes the recovery and you set up your user name etc....do not go online to surf or download any software.

Go straight to windows updates....get the updates...reboot...check for updates again..keep doing this until there are no more available....leave the machine be while getting these enormous amount of updates....if you dont you may very well be starting another thread regarding update trouble

Go get get your virus protection next.....update it and you are good to go

Vista isnt slow..it just works different....after you boot vista...it wants to fill your ram with what it guesses you will be doing.......meanwhile you are wanting to open applications while the hdd is already busy.
    Boot it and take off for 3 to 5 minutes...the ram will now be filled..and you arent fighting it for who gets priority.

Vista also needs to be trained so to say...it guesses what you will be doing...so in effect if one is always busy playing with the settings ect...those will be super fetched rather than you apps you use.

So go get your apps...do your settings..then start using your apps...your machine will become fastser ...as now super fetch will be filling with your apps......not the installers that came with them or roaming windows and toying with settings.

When you are done...put it to sleep...no need to shut it off...it uses very little power while asleep...and your ram stays loaded when you wake it up..........Vista can stay "up"[Time without a reboot} for ages
    I would go a couple weeks at a time until an update or new software forced me to restart.

Where vista falls is when you copy large amounts of data from one location to another...most people dont move gigs at a time though.

Be sure windows defender is OFF...it drags you down and isnt needed after you install your anti virus
    Installing MSE will turn it off for you and provide you respectable protection as well.

Your Vista will not be slow if you follow the above

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice