1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making all hidden files unhidden

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prgynt, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prgynt

prgynt Thread Starter

I recently got a virus (I got it professionally removed) that caused all my personal files (pictures, music, etc) to become hidden. I went into folder options to make it show hidden files. I can now go individually to each picture file and make it unhidden, but I have thousands of pictures. I tried going to the folder and doing "select all" to select all the pics in that folder, but when I go to properties the hidden box is grayed out. Is there anyway to make all hidden files unhidden without going through them one by one?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I can make a batch file or similar script to do this for you.
    To do so, and make it as easy for you as possible, I'd need a few more details about your situation.

I'm keen to avoid showing system files that are meant to be hidden. Can you verify that the virus has marked your files as hidden and not as hidden and system? This is the case if the "hidden" box is not greyed out when you look at properties for individual files.

Are the hidden files spread over a large number of folders and subfolders? If so I'll make the script search subfolders as well.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Assuming that the answer to both questions is yes, here's a script that should do it for you.

Code:
    @echo off
    Echo This script will unhide all files in the current folder and all subfolders. 
    Echo If there are a lot of files, it may take some time to complete.
    Attrib -H /S /D
    echo Unhide Complete
    pause

Copy the contents of the Code box.
    Open Notepad
    Paste the code into notepad
    Save as Unhide.bat in the folder holding your hidden files.
    It is very important that the file ends with .bat
    Double click the file to run it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice