1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making an internal drive an external one.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by landofthelost, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. landofthelost

landofthelost Thread Starter

I heard this was possible but I have no idea how to do it.

My old computer died, [the power supply died on me(overheated?) and the mother board is on the way out].

I have the Master drive (20GB), which has some programs that I can't get back, and it also has a slave drive, because I like taking photos and my parents complained that I was taking up too much space. That one is 40GB.

I was hoping to make either one, or both of them into externals because my computer computer doesn't have a space on the mother board to support them. :(

My current computer has XP on it, :D thanks!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can buy an external enclosure for the drive and connect it by USB. But the programs would need to be reinstalled in the new system and won't run from the external. Installation is a complex process that involves the registry and multiple folder locations, so programs must be installed to be correctly integrated into the system.

3. landofthelost

landofthelost Thread Starter

thanks!

I figured they wouldn't be able to run off the external, but I have plenty of room and I'm mostly nerdy, and I have nerdier friends that can help me if I need assistance in the process, thanks!!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

External drives are pretty handy, besides being portable, and they are a good place to keep backups of all your important files so you don't lose them if the machine dies.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice