1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making backgrounds

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mrcobra, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Does anyone know from personal experience of a program that I can use to make my own backgrounds ? What I am wanting to do to be more specific is paste my own pics onto the background but be able to make them lighter(transparent) I guess so that naturally I can type words onto the background.

The intent here is to be able to make backgrounds for my homepage.

As always I turn to the people who know the most.

thanks guys

Cobra (y)

2. Miz

Miz

Assuming you're referring to the desktop wallpaper/background....it's just a picture, usually in either .bmp or .jpg format. You can make any picture into wallpaper by opening it in any decent graphics editing program, manipulating and editing it however you like and saving it as either a .bmp or .jpg (although using a .jpg as wallpaper usually means you have to enable Active Desktop, which has problems of its own).

Adding text to a picture is the function of the "text tool" found in most graphics programs. Paint, which comes with Windows will do what you want, including adding text. It's found in the Start Menu under Accessories.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I should have been more specific. I am talking about making backgrounds for a web page.

Sorry

Cobra

4. Miz

Miz

Some good information on creating web page backgrounds on this page.

A Google search for "how to create web page backgrounds" yielded 3,960,000 hits...one of which is the above link.

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Sorry Miz, I should have been even more clear when I made this post. I guess that where you live depends on how many hits you get back from a web search. I typed into google the same thing you did and I only got 1,890,000 results.

I have been around long enough to know how to do a search, what I was looking for is if anyone here has personal experience using a specific program.

Thanks for being the only one to respond so far.

Cobra

6. hewee

hewee

7. blackecho

blackecho

two excellent programs that you can use to do what you want are Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. I do graphic design and have a large amount of personal experience. I would recomend them to anyone because of their ease of use and functions. You can make pictures transparent, lighten them up, add text- You name it, it can probably be done. They're kinda expensive though. Another good program from what I"ve heard is called The Gimp. It was originaly created for Linux systems, but it's been ported to Windows. Hope this helps!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice