1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making better quality music Cds.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathblow, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Is there a special way to burn a Music CD to make the quality better? I have several burnt music cds that constantly skip in my car stereo with the slightest bump. At first I thought it was the unit itself in the vehicle that was at fault, but after playing several store bought cds that didn't skip once, I'm thinking it has to do with the way I burn my music?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

The biggest thing I can recommend is slow down. I never burn music faster than 8x. There's a long explanation as to why audio should be done slow vs. data but that's the best short advice I can give.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

One more thing, use "Disk at Once" rather than "Track at Once" so the laser doesn't have to turn on and off between tracks.

EDIT: definitions
    Disc-at-Once is a writing mode that records one or more tracks continuously without ever stopping the laser, and the disc is closed. The lead-in, program and lead-out are written in a single event. Disc-at-Once recording requires a blank disc, and cannot be used for multisession recording.

Track-at-Once is a writing mode that allows a session to be written in a number of discrete write events, called tracks. Tracks recorded in Track at Once mode are divided by gaps. Gaps between audio tracks are approximately 2 seconds in length. If a data track is followed by an audio track, the gap is 2 or 3 seconds.

4. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

I'll try slowing the next one down and see if that makes a difference.

5. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

OK, I burnt one at the slowest speed my burner allows, 8x, and it is no better. In fact, I can't even listen to the first 4 tracks on my car stereo, and the skipping is still there on the rest with the slightest bump. I also tried several other store bought CD's in my car stereo, and all of them played perfectly, and I couldn't get them to skip. So what is the difference that's causing this problem between the ones I burn, and the ones I buy?

6. jsoules1

jsoules1

Hey Deathblow,

I'm pretty much a novice at burning, but one thing that may help is to use a good quality "blank" such as Memorex, Sony,etc. I noticed, also, that this (along with making sure the blank is rated for 8x or "multi-speed recording") improved a lot of my home-recorded cds. Hope that this helps.

Pardon if my reference is not accurate (I read LOTS of computer mags), but I read somewhere that it does not matter if you use cds labeled for "MUSIC" or "DATA" as long as they are of good quality.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The difference is the technology.

"Store bought" CDs are pressed, and the microscopic pressed "pits" that deflect the laser are pressed into an aluminum layer, giving high reflectivity.

CD-R have a dye in the disk that changes color when heated by the laser, and creates a variation in the reflectivity, but nowhere near the contrast that an original CD has in the "pits".

Your car CD player has a lower than optimum output laser, or one that is not optimised (in wavelength) for CD-R, so it "nearly plays them".

Is it advertised as being compatable with CD-R? If not, then it was never designed to play them in the first place.

8. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Not sure, it came with my Wrangler. It's generic pep boys junk, but if you know anything about wranglers, especially soft tops, you really don't want to install anything too good in the dash. I'm guessing now I'll have to either stick with store bought, or buy a better unit for the Jeep.

BTW, the CD's I burnt on were Fujifilm and Sony.

9. jsoules1

jsoules1

Sorry I couldn't help. I know what you mean about not putting a really good unit in a soft top. Afriend had his Alpine taken from a Sebring convertable. Knifed the top. I know it probably won't help because you're not using a cassette head unit, but because I drive a piece of crap, I just bought an inexpensive portable with a car adapter and it plays ALL of my home-recorded cds. Just a thought...

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try a bunch of different brand disks. You might try visiting CD Media World and checking out this page on CD-R dies. I'd try to get at least one brand from each die formulation, and see which one works best in your situation.

11. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Well, I tried one of each of the types of disk, but still no luck. I bit the bullet and bought a New unit. I got a generic one that has MP3 and RW support. Was also very reasonably priced, and being a generic name, hopefully it won't be too tempting.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice