1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making Changes to SYSTEM.INI

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sithtradmus, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sithtradmus

Sithtradmus Thread Starter

I try to make changes to it, but I'm denied acess, I'm the admin and only account on the computer, any help?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't believe system.ini and win.ini are really used in Vista. What you are seeing is probably legacy support of some kind.

Why are you trying to edit it any way?

Can you right click on one of these files and check the properties? When was it created or modified?

Is there a a Security tab on the properties page? If you can open that you can add your User Name for what it's worth.

3. Sithtradmus

PageBuffers=32
    MinTimeSlice=40
    MaxBPs=65530
    DMABufferSize=64
    ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1

[vache]
    MinFileCache=0
    MaxFileCache=131072

I'm putting those in place, but they won't let me overwrite system.ini file for some reason...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

None of that would have any effect with Vista, don't waste your time.

5. Sithtradmus

Wow, Vista is incredibly gay, is there any way to completely delete Vista off of a computer and basically turn it into an XP machine?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Those settings would have absolutely no effect in XP either, so what exactly is your issue? Why are you fooling around with a file left over from Windows 3.1?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice