1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making command prompt automatically copy files

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by helgso, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helgso

helgso Thread Starter

This is the situation. I'm interested in programming and I have a "problem" I'd like to solve programically. I have two computers, one I use to work on and other to print and store files. Therefore, I have to transfer files I work on over to the printing/storage PC to be able to either print or store. I want to be able to: Insert my usb drive into the printing/storage PC and automatically the computer, or command prompt, will start copying the files off the usb drive to a certain location. Can I create a command prompt program that acts in the following sequence:

The command prompt program is run.
    It awaits usb drive input.
    If an usb drive is inserted, cmd copies all of it's files to C:\files

How is this possible?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If the two computers are on the same network I would just use software that keeps them in sync over the network.

Even with the USB stick you could use a program that keeps the USB synced on each computer. I had my Mom setup a few years ago to use Microsofts SyncToy to synchronize a USB stick with her home computer and her computer at work.

3. helgso

helgso Thread Starter

But do you know if it is possible to use command prompt to do this? I am very curious

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!