1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making exact copy of C: to External HD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by The Villan, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Villan

The Villan Thread Starter

Hi everyone
    I think I am in the correct section. If not can one of the kind mods bump it to the relevant section for me please :)

I have what seems to be a technical problem with my hard disk on my laptop. I have an accidental warranty for the laptop. Which means it will have to go back to base to be repaired.

I desperately need to make an exact copy onto my Ext HD just incase they go and reformat or replace Laptop harddisk.

Is that possible and if so - how?

The intermittant problem is that when I power up, I am getting a message that says

Medium test Failure, check cable.
    Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Operating system not found.

With gentle manipulation of the laptop case, I am able to reboot and get onto my Laptop.

Which makes it sound like a technical problem, rather than the hard disk failing. No nasty noises or anthing like that. Its as though a contact is not bieng made to the hard disk/hard disk not sitting properly.

I really appreciate any help on this as it it rather urgent.

Cheers
    Les Worrall

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. The Villan

Thanks Elvandil

I will try XXClone and see how I get on

Les

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If I remember right, XXclone can clone a running OS from within that OS (if NT-based). Good luck.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bad link for XXclone fixed and another bad link removed.

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Elvandil :)

I was checking out XXclone , the free version that does a cloning to another drive/partition.
    What is the difference between what is saved in that manner versus booting to Bart PE and saving the entire C:\ ( OS) to a folder.
    In this manner, all files are copied, are they not?

Is it possible to then use Bart's at a later time to delete all the contents of the C: drive (if that is where the OS is) and copy the contents of that saved folder back into C:\.......and have it boot? ( sorry if that sounds like an ignorant question, my excuse is I'm a user not a programmer :D )

I ask because to me, that sounds like what XXclone is doing.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

That method will work so long as you also back up the MBR. And most cloners can use the Shadow Copy service to back up the OS while it is running and the files are in use.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would personally use Bart PE with Drive Image XML. You can image the drive with Drive Image XML but if you want to recover the drive you need Bart PE with Drive Image XML installed on it.
    http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

Or just pay for a really Good piece of software like Acronis True Image. You can usually find a deal on it for under $30 on most ecommerce sites.

9. The Villan

Well sorry to say it didn'twork.

My motherboard was knackered and I had insurance resulting in a brand new laptop which had Vista on.

Fortunately I had backed up all data files and was able to recover those.

The worst loss was all my e-mails, but I think I can live with that.

I don't know why I keep on hearing bad things about Vista. I am getting on with it like a house on fire.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Les

10. piyushchandra

piyushchandra

the best1 that i use n i prefer is "NORTON GHOST"... the old one...
    just u need 1 bootable floppy for that.
    its dam easy.

it'll aslo compress it to almost half...

u'll get xactly the same setting for windows , sotwares, all other programs... etc.. as b4;,,,
    :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice