1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making icons with a CLEAR background

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Randy G, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Randy G

Randy G Thread Starter

I hope it's okay to post this question here (I'm not really sure where to put it ).

Okay, here's the deal......Sometimes I make my own icons, I use Irfanview to do this (simple & gives great results). My only problem is, I don't like the backgrounds. I frequently change my desktop wallpaper & the icon backgrounds make some of them look stupid.

I've had a few programs recommended to me, but unfortunately I can't shell out $50 for a program whenever I like (I wish!!!).
    There has to be a simple solution....... Lol! Something free.

Recently, I've found a few great online editors, but mostly dealing with jpg's & gif's.

Any solutions?

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Randy
    If you are just looking to make the icons on your desktop/machine have a clear background I've got a great <b>FREE</b> program to do just that......but I haven't used it in some months and it's on one of my BU cds....... some where............ I'll find it Sun. hopefully and post the linik for it

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Randy G:

You need Snlco icon editor by Snidesoft.

http://snidesoft.cjb.net/

You get transparency by painting the whole edit screen 'transparent' and then making your icon on top of that.

4. Randy G

Randy G Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I know its no big deal to some people, but it has always annoyed the p*ss out of me......lol!

Stoner I'll check out that link, & jwbirdsong, if u can find out which prog. u have, post a link. I'll try them both. ;)

5. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

I haven't used this, but it looks promising called Clic...Freeware, check it out HERE it's #3 on the list ...Rhett

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello!

MicroAngelo also can produce transparent background icons, either ones you make from scratch, or pre-made ones that can be edited.

7. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Randy etal.

Finally found it then had to search for a current link but here you go..I'd forgotten how much I like this...Thanks for the reminder
    TRANSPARENT v4.2

8. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Well I don't make my own icons, but I do change my desktop theme A LOT ... I hate the "blobs" of color behind the icon text too! :mad:

9. RandyG

RandyG

Hi Randy G

Haven't seen you in a while! Most people probably still think you are my evil alternate ego, but we both know the truth!!:D;)

I can suggest using the Microsoft GIF Animator which has an easy way of making the background transparant.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice