1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making my computer faster running XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stone27, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stone27

stone27 Thread Starter

I have a gateway tower from around 2005 or a bit sooner I'm guessing. I have two problems. The first one I feel like is an easy fix. But they probably both are.

Problem 1- my power button is broken. Literally the part I press down broke off, so I literally can't press anything to turn it on and that kinda sucks.

Problem 2- can I make this computer faster? Possibly by replacing and upgrading the memory, and taking the side Panay off and giving it a clean with compressed air?

Very new to the internal view of computers, but I'm currently working on getting a CompTIA A+ Certificate. Any help is awesome

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Do the following in that Gateway desktop:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------

What is the model name/model number of that Gateway desktop?

What is the serial/SNID number on it?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Compressed Air is good for blowing away dust the covers the CPU heat sink and fan and other parts. It does not make the computer faster. But will prevent the system from getting over heated, because dust covering the CPU heat sink and fan will prevent the fan from removing heat generated by the CPU.

4. stone27

stone27 Thread Starter

The power button is broke bro, I literally can't turn the computer on whatsoever. But I do believe I can find the information you need on the hardware somewhere

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

Stone27, the Power Switch on computers from around 10 years ago is typically a push-to-make - push-to-break type switch.

If you open the box you should be able to trace two, three or four wires that run from the back of the Power Switch to the Motherboard. Before you do anything get a piece of paper and make a sketch of how these wires are connected to the MB.

Now take multi-meter and test how the switch works. If you don't have a multi-meter you can buy one that will be good enough for your purposes for about US $5. Once you know how the switch works you should be able to figure out how to switch the computer ON...... and the best way to learn anything is "hands-on"... ;)

T.

6. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

1) Open the computer and find where the power button is on the inside. Follow the wires to where it's plugged in to the motherboard. It should be only two pins. Take a screwdriver and press it against those pins, shorting them. Your computer will now turn on.

2) Assuming you have no important data on the computer, just reinstall windows. Pop a windows installation CD into your gateway, boot from the disk, and follow the steps to install windows.

Once you've reinstalled windows, you'll probably need the drivers. Go to the gateway site for this computer and find your computer model, download the drivers you need (video, ethernet, wifi...etc), copy them to a cd/usb stick, move them to the gateway, and install.

Getting it all up and running is a bit of work, even if you really know what you're doing. Consider just buying a new computer. You can go to your local repair show and buy an equal or better computer than the one you have for $100.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!