1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making my current comp better

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WindowsXp, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

I know I made a thread about building a new comp from scratch before and I asked my parents for the parts for christmas. If they say no to the parts its going to take a while for me to get the cash together to buy the stuff I want for the computer I am building.

So, if my parents dont get the stuff for me I want to at least have a halfway decent gaming computer while I am saving up for the one I am going to build. The game I am going to be playing mostly (after christmas) is going to be World Of Warcraft, so I want the game to run smoothly with minimum lag.

Right now my comp matches all the minimum requirments for the game, but I am pretty sure even with that the game isnt going to run very well.

So I was thinking of getting a new vid card (I am currently running a GeForce FX5500) and I have about 350mb of ram (max my comp can take is 550 ram).

What else would be worth getting for my current computer. Specs in sig.

Edit: Here are the system requirments to run the game
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...sionid=F1D3170F1859DC5D6327545AD4B975D9.app01

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

It wouldn't run well or run at all with the amount of RAM you have. Minimum is 512 and recommended is 1024, but you don't match the minimum there. So you'd definitely need more RAM if the game is to work at all.

3. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

hmmmm.. I remember the requirment being about 400MB before. I think they may have updated it, or I just read it wrong.

4. Rukee

Rukee Banned

you need a whole platform upgrade. :\

5. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

Platform upgrade! What do you mean?

Ok so this is what I got.

-I meet min specs for platform, graphics card, direct x9.0, Hd space, cdrom drive

-recommended specs i meet broadband internet connection and the mouse :/

6. Rukee

Rukee Banned

if your currant power supply can handle it, I think this combo with your currant video card would give more performance increase then any video card you can stick in the rig you have. Plus you could always upgrade the video card later and you`d have a solid platform to put it in.
    http://www.partspc.com/ProductDetails.asp?CatID=84&ProdID=11640

7. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

Ok, 2 questions. With that mobo, will the current stuff I have in this comp be able to be transfered to that mobo? And I do meet the min specifications for the game with my current mobo right?

8. Rukee

Rukee Banned

1) The only thing to transfer will be the hard drives, the optical and floppy drive, the power supply, and your old video card. I would recomend a fresh format with any major hardware change like this.
    2) Min requirements for games can be crappola. What they say on the box can run the game often doesn`t, so although you do seem to meat the min requirments, I wouldn`t expect to run it at very high resolutions or high game detail, if any and still not have it play like a slide show.
    I`ve never played that game so I`m not sure how it will play on your rig, but a red flag I see right away with the requirments is they say a 800MHz Intel or a 800MHz Athlon, everyone knows the two shouldn`t be compared mhz to mhz so why is the min the same between them?

9. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

This isnt from the box. I read the box and it says stuff like you only need 250mb of ram to play the game etc. The requirments used to be lower about a week ago, but they just came out with a new patch I believe and that jacked the requirments up a bit.

I am not really sure what to do. I think best case scenario is that my parents get me the hardware I need to build my gaming pc. If they dont get that I think they would go for the mobo you recommended, but I doubt I could get just about everything else upgraded with it.

My parents bought the game already, would you suggest me trying to play a bit on the current set up I have to see how it goes? (it would be a good excuse to get a present earlier ) :D

10. kamanovich

kamanovich

If I follow the original correctly, your cashflow is rather limited. So Rukee's suggestion may not help(since it means putting out about $1500).
    As a budget suggestion, I would just buy a new(refurbished) system with the minimum software(make sure 512MB Ram min.). At Tigerdirect.com you could purchase a new(refurbished) system that would meet all needs for approx. $400.

If you're tight and can't spend that much, I would suggest 3 things.
    A new MoBo, a new chip, new RAM(Barebones system)...that would probably run you around $250.00.
    Hope this helps,
    Kevin

11. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

Well the RAM is no problem I can get the min specs for the ram ok and possibly get the nvidia 5700 graphics card its just all this other stuff that is being mentioned .

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Just my 2 cents,sounds like good money after bad.

13. Rukee

Rukee Banned

You got selective reading skillz or what??
    The combo I linked was under 300 bucks and came with an a64 and a gig of DDR, not even close to 1500.00. :rolleyes:

14. WindowsXp

WindowsXp Thread Starter

Lol. Well, I would have really liked to have built my own comp, but it just looks like that isnt going to happen. I talked with my parents and I think I could get them to buy me a computer and have me get the current one I am using.

I am not quite sure which computer to get but i was thinking of somthing like this maybe.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/eMac...BV_EngineID=cccjaddggljhhikcfngcfkmdffhdfii.0

I havent heard anything good about emachines from my friends, but again its just an idea I am throwing out because the price is right, can take up to 2048 ram and can play World of Warcraft.

15. Rukee

Rukee Banned

I wouldn`t get an e-machine, I owned a couple, they were crap for gaming.
    I would just have your parents start a new computer fund and wait and save till you get enought to upgrade the whole platform rather then waist anymore money on the slow one you have. It`s money better spent later then just buying something now just to buy it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice