1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making my photo cd auto start

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by weldor, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

I have some photos I've burnt on a cd. I would like it to start when I put it in the drive but not sure how to make that happen.

I am using Nero Express and I could not find that feature listed.

Thanks.

2. slipe

slipe

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninf.htm That should give you enough information. What the exact inf instruction should be would vary according to whether your images are just individual files in the root directory, in folders, in a slideshow etc.

3. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks slipe. That tells me what I need to do. The only problem is I don't know enough about the terminology of computers to understand how to implement it.

Where it states enter program to run. Do I put the name of my drive, location, or what.

Then what do you do with this file? add it to the burn list as I would another picture or what.

Sorry about the dumb questions, but I'm just not to good on this computer stuff.

Also wondered if there was another burning program that would allow this to happen automatically?

4. lister

lister

You generally need a 3rd party program on the CD as well, in order to present the images.

A program a lot of us use, Irfanview, has an option to create CD slideshows.

5. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks lister. I don't really care about a slide show, I just have a bunch of my photos stored on a cd and when I want to print or use one of them I don't like having to go My Computer and starting the disk after I put it in the drive.

6. bp936

bp936

I think you mean "Autorun" on the computer not in a dvd player? go to My Computer - doubleclick-, rightclick on the CD drive letter and go to "Properties" select the tab "Autoplay" and click on the action you want, open Folder or play slideshow or view pictures etc and click ok then every time to insert a CD it should play automatically. Make sure you select what type of files it should play automatically, pictures or music or files.
    Hope this is what you meant, otherwise you have to follow what -slipe and -lister said for playing in DVD players automatically.

7. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks bp936. I have tried that and no show. The only way I can get it to run is go to my computer then click on the drive then click on one of the pictures and then select open.

8. bp936

bp936

try again this way, it really should work, what operating system do you have? these instructions are for XP:confused:
    or open
    EXPLORER
    CLICK ON the CD DRIVE LETTER
    right-click, select PROPERTIES then,
    click on: AUTOPLAY
    select: PICTURES
    select : "Select an action to perform"
    click on: VIEW, FIND,FIX AND SHARE PHOTOS
    MAKE SURE YOU click on "APPLY" before you click "OK"

9. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Just tried that and didn't work. I don't have "VIEW, FIND,FIX AND SHARE PHOTOS" listed I have "View a slideshow of pictures using windows picture and fax viewer. Which I selected. No go.

I am running XP also.

10. bp936

bp936

like this

Attached Files:

11. lister

lister

er Bp936, he won't have that entry unless he has Photoshop Album installed (the list will change depending upon what software is installed).

12. slipe

slipe

Unless you have a program installed on your computer that makes an entry in the autoplay menu you are stuck with viewing your images in the media center, which XP includes by default.

If you have a program you want to view your images with you can add it to the autoplay menu with a free Microsoft utility called TweakIU. It is a free download from Microsoft. Look up some instructions for using it as adding a “handler” to autoplay isn’t very intuitive. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

You can make your images open in the viewer of your choice by making an autoplay.ini file and adding it in the root directory of the CD along with an opener. This little free utility will make the ini file for you and provides the opener to add along with the file. http://autorun.moonvalley.com/

If you want to go through the XP autoplay make sure the images are in the root directory. The root directory is what you see when you first select the drive with the CD. If the images are in folders I don’t think autoplay will find them.

13. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

Thanks All. I guess I am going to see if I can find someone here locally that I can show this information to and have them walk me through it. Just can't understand all of the terminology.

I went to the moonvalley.com site and I think that would do what I am wanting but not sure how to implement it, the ini file and root directory stuff confuse me.

Thanks.

14. bp936

bp936

lister, weldor, sorry, my mistake, I have sooo many photo- imaging programs, I forgot, you have to have one. I have IRFANVIEW, ACDSEE, ADOBE PHOTOALBUM, ULEAD, PSP, HP PHOTOESSENTIALS,KODAK'S STUFF, ETC, I use the programs for different purposes, I hope Weldor will find one that opens up the pix in the CD drive

15. weldor

weldor Thread Starter

I think I may be making headway. Last night my brain decided to work for a while. I went to google and typed. "CD autorun tutorial" I and I think I have it figured out.

Thanks again for ALL who helped.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice