Making PC-Linq work between Win10 PCs

Joephilippa

I am NOT asking how to copy data between PCs - I'm asking about PC-linq or an equivalent. I still have PC-Linq 'bridging - cross-over' cable that used to allow data transfer between 98E and XP in an effective and user-friendly way. I would like to use it between Win10 PCs. There is a 2018 post on the web https://answers.informer.com/162205/is-pc-linq-really-working-with-windows-10 that claims it still works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the Compatibility Mode is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter which came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure that the software could be inadequate or any number of other gremlins could be causing the failure. I already know about work-arounds - the easiest being to use a USB-stick - and ethernet-wise, I KNOW that Team Viewer also works. After a great deal of effort, I've had NO success with networking through ethernet cable, so spare me reminders about THAT option. The only modern version of PC-Linq I could find, from USBGear https://www.usbgear.com/windows-10-data-transfer-cable.html, has user comments at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIGNVC which range from EXCELLENT to ABYSMAL. I'm really NOT after work-arounds, or asking how to transfer data between PCs, but in finding out if anybody-out-there can reproduce the success in getting PC-Linq to work with Win10 which was claimed by the post I quoted. I want to cast a wide net by asking for help in forums.

Joephilippa

The reason that the query has been posted so often, is that no solution to the post has been forthcoming - although there have been numerous well meant attempts to get me to stop my search.

plodr

Liz
I doubt whether you'll find many here using PC-Linq. So the only thing you can do, is try it yourself.

There are better ways to connect Windows 10 computers.

In the "old days" (pre Windows XP) I used something similar to get things from one computer to another. Once I felt that method was obsolete, I got rid of the hardware.

Joephilippa

" I doubt whether you'll find many ... " Just ONE success story is enough for me.
' only thing you can do, is try it yourself.' I've done that and failed and so am looking for people like the one quoted, who did not fail.
' There are better ways to connect Windows 10 computers. " Maybe, but I have tried the Networking/ethernet way that is widely recommended and it did not work for me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online