1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

making two computers work as one

Discussion in 'Networking' started by samisme, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samisme

samisme Thread Starter

I am trying to figure out how to connect two computer using win xp pro so they act as onr using the same keyboard, mouse and monitor. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. samisme

samisme Thread Starter

ok thank you, but once I install this switch how do I hook up the two computers so that they act as one?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I think what you want is to cluster your computers as one so that the processing power of both computers is available as one. This is not possible with Windows XP or 2000. You can do it with Linux and Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition.

5. ~Candy~

I think I'm confused :eek:

6. samisme

samisme Thread Starter

Thanks all but what I am really trying to do is make one my business compuer and the other for recreation, but I want to use them as one but separate units. I don't need the processing power of both computers, I just want to be able to run programs from both computers at the same time on one monitor with one keyboard and one mouse. Is this possible?

7. samisme

samisme Thread Starter

plus I want to be able to do this without going through my router as I want to block access to one of the computer from the home network.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

"on one monitor with one keyboard and one mouse. Is this possible?"

Yep; see AcaCandy's post #2.

9. ~Candy~

*WHEW* I feel sanity once again :D :D

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Gee, glad you have your sanity back, AcaCandy! :)

But I thought, and still think, that Squashman's answer was the correct one for the title "making two computers work as one."

11. ~Candy~

I'm sure you are correct :D That is WAY over my pretty blonde head :p

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you're a brunette, can you understand those concepts then? ;)

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I figured she had the thread answered in her first post, but when samise replied back I thought he was trying to cluster. A simple KVM switch will work fine.

14. samisme

samisme Thread Starter

Thanks all, I knew about a kvm swithch but thought I had to physically network the two puters together rven after I installed the switch with a serial cable or a usb cable and didn't know which one would be best.

15. ~Candy~

The one computer that you want to use with the internet will still connect to the router as well. The one that you don't want to have internet access, won't connect to the router.

There is a shortcut key (on mine, I think it's the FN key while tapping the F10 key twice) which will switch from one computer to the other one. OR if the switch has buttons on it, you can hit the appropriate button to switch computers.

I will warn you on one thing that I've run across. From a cold startup, one of my computers will not start with the mouse/keyboard/monitor cables attached. I have to disconnect them until I get a post beep, and THEN I can plug them in. On a reboot, it works fine. This is an older Celeron computer, so I'm sure that the issue is probably isolated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/494430