Making windows the defalt boot loader

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

allyant

Hi i recently installed linux on my second hard drive but it never worked so my question is how do you turn the boot up menu back to windows instead of grub (i think) its just the hassel of having to go down the list and selecting windows??
thanks

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Boot with your XP install disk into the recovery console and type: fixmbr

I believe you can also boot with a floppy bootdisk and just type: fdisk /mbr

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, a plain MS-DOS disk with FDISK will fix it.

FDISK /MBR

allyant said:
Hi i recently installed linux on my second hard drive but it never worked so my question is how do you turn the boot up menu back to windows instead of grub (i think) its just the hassel of having to go down the list and selecting windows??
thanks
Hi allyant,

I have a dual boot Linux, Windows system. The way I would make Windows default is to modify the grub.conf in /etc/boot directory on the Linux system - i.e. if you can even boot up Linux.

On my system, the default=0 line in the grub.conf file indicated that the Linux system was the default, and I just simply changed it to default=1 in order to make Windows the default boot OS.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online