1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Making XP as small as possible

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jackdw, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I just installed XP on a machine with a 2gb (1.97gb) hard drive. It has 688mb free after the install. Is there anyway I can make the OS smaller so I can have say a gig of free space. Perhaps I can remove windows movie maker or something. Any idea on how or any other space-saving tips?

Thanks
    -Jack

2. moper

moper

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Probably going to need to keep very careful watch of that hard drive as you continue to use it. Likely it is going to fill up rather quickly. Any reason you can't get a larger one and avoid all that?

4. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

I could nab a spare 80gb I have in this PC here it's just that it's not going to be used that often and I don't want to waste a perfectly good 80 on it.

moper, I'll have a look at your link now.

Thanks both

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Seems like an awful lot of work to constantly need to do as opposed to a larger drive.

But not sure why you would be wasting the spare 80 gig drive if you would then be actually using it.

6. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

It's for my dad to use to type up reports etc. Check emails, no huge programs as most PC's have like games.

It's not the best of systems. 300mhx AMD-K6, minimum CPU requirement, 192mb RAM, 64mb over the minimum. It had 98 on it before, but I just couldn't get it to install the PCI ethernet card so thats why I upgraded it.

7. bbearren

bbearren

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice