Malfunctioning laptop charger port - what to do?

HawkbitAlpha

4 years ago, I bought a used Alienware M15X laptop with a loose charger port. Loose, as in, the plug easily slips out of the jack without me even touching it, though the charge was stable when the plug was connected. Then, last year, it started getting worse. I had to keep rotating the plug inside the jack to keep the connection going, frequently in very awkward positions.

By last June, it reached a point where, no matter what I did, the charge absolutely would not remain stable. The laptop and cord could be sitting completely stationary, and the charge would either: A) at best, remain stable (but still not charging) for about a minute before devolving into rapid flickering on and off, or B) still not work at all, at least without even more strange rotation of the plug. Even when the laptop is off, I can tell what the charge is doing, since the lit-up Alienware logo changes color to red when the laptop is unplugged, and blue when it's plugged in. This issue forced me to stop using the Alienware, because it literally would not charge.

And just to rule out any other possibilities: yes, it's on the laptop jack's end. I've tried it with four different AC adapters (two of which are specifically made by Alienware/Dell for the M15X, and the other two of which were generic Dell laptop chargers) and many different wall outlets, all with the same end result: a barely-functional charging port.

Now, more than a year later, I finally have the money to get it fixed, but I have no clue what to do. Should I buy another non-working M15X off of eBay to get the necessary parts out of it? Take it to people who know what they're doing with PC hardware repair, or attempt to fix it myself? Moreover, is this a problem that requires buying new parts? These are all questions that I thought would be best answered by the people on this forum.

A relatively long post, but this needed a lot of info to make it all clear.

crjdriver

Replacing a charging port is not difficult [generally] Some of these are soldered and most modern ones secured by a screw, pin, clip, whatever. These ports are around $5~10 on amazon. Note you must get the correct one, they are not generic in that one size fits all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online