1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mallware attack: XP freezes, safe mode freezes, file system poss corrupt, etc

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by equies, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. equies

equies Thread Starter

Operating system: Windows XP pro (sp2 ?)
    2 physical hard drives, each with 2 or 3 partitions.
    C: 1st partition, mainly used for program files, although some important data is also located on that partition
    Mallware/virus attack included the following:
    - Multiple advert windows opening up.
    - Various warnings (about 17 infections) from AVG Free: Quarantined most, remainder needed restart. Unfortunately I did not take note of the specific virus id's.
    - Windows security warnings popped up, although these got very confusing, as malware/virus was impersonating the Windows alerts, and produced a duplicate security shield in the taskbar.
    One warning indicating AVG as unauthorised virus software with option to remove! I did ignore that one!
    - Mallware/virus installed some (rogue?) malware/virus software on the infected PC
    - I tried to perform root scan with unhackme but machine froze (1st time)
    - On restart warning window pops up: Google update not accessible? On both options (debug or close) machine froze.
    When totally ignoring the Google warning box, Windows does appear to finish loading, however when going to my computer, the windows warning appears to the effect that on proceeding I will be accessing the system files. On proceeding all files and folders (including data & program files) appear to be system files, and the machine freezes.
    - Machine freezes on all actions as far as I know
    - Starting up in safe mode: machine freezes
    - Starting up with last known safe configuration: machine freezes.
    Questions:
    1. Can this machine be recovered without the need to
    a - reinstall Windows, and of course all programs ?
    b - reformat any or all of the drives/partitions?

2. Is the data recoverable (very important), including on C: ? - as no external backups are available.

3. If data is damaged or unrecoverable, would the use of a program like R-Studio save the day?

Machine is now switched off, and will remain so untill I get a possible solution or instruction.

Regards,
    Phil

2. equies

equies Thread Starter

bump

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice