1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Malware, Bad HDD or something else entirely??PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kile392, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

Hey there,
    So i got this computer from my friends older brother for free. He had smashed it with a 20 pound weight for some reason and it would boot to just before login then black screen. SOOO. I decided to try first installing windows 7 on it. I had a 64bit cd and 32bit, both legal. So i tried installing the 64 bit and it got to 21% on expanding files and then stopped, saying that it didnt have the files to go on.(not sure the exact thing it said but when i searched it up when i first got the error it meant the cd wasnt a clean burn) So i decided to try the 32bit. FOr some reason though it never repaired windows back to what it was before i tried installing 64 bit. And i forgot about that. So i put the 32 bit in and tried installing it and thats when the fun started. It got past loading files then windows is loading with the windows 7 animation, then when it was supposed to go to select languages, Ta-Dah! black screen with cursor on it. So now nothing will boot on it, except vista recovery cd which gets to searchign for windows installations and hangs theren forever. I tried everything, taking it apart and back together, external hardrive boots, reseting bios, trying to install windows 7 in safe mode,(which goes to setup is installing and hangs) NOTHING works. So wtf. Also i tried installing windows xp, but it goes to blue screen and and oex000f or something, and says all this **** about checking your hardrive. Please help. Oh and system restore and factory settings(alt f10 at boot)doesnt even work. [email protected][email protected][email protected]#!#!#! At least that should work.
    Comp Specs-
    Acer Aspire AX1300-b1880a
    Amd athlon x2 7450 dual core
    3gb ddr2
    8200 integrated nvidia geforce
    Also would it be a virus?? just its werid hitting it with a 20pound weight acvtivated the black screen virus? idk probably not a virus though

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would not be suprised if the impact with a 20 pound weight has caused some internal damage so you may be fighting a loosing battle.

All I can suggest is that you run the hard drive diagnostics disc, run the test and use it to wipe the hard drive so you can start with a clean slate. This will delete any possible infections. If it fails the test then you will need a new drive, but that won't guarantee a good outcome if there is any other damage to the PC.

You should also check the memory modules are still firmly in place as the impact may have loosened them.

You will probably find that the drive is SATA which is why XP will not install as it does not include SATA drivers, they need to be integrated into a copy of the disc for it to work.

3. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

I tried booting from it and doesnt boot from it, like its blank or something but i checked the files on it and there are 2 text files on the cd and some dos files.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Just to be sure you are doing this correctly:

You did burn the disc with an ISO burner and not just copy them?

You did set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order?

5. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

Yea i used image burn to write the files to the cd at 6x speed, and i extracted a zip file to deskttop before that and inserted into the desktop and booted from the cd, but it didnt do anything. When i open up the dos file though it brings up nti cd dvd maker for some reason. I guess i could retry the install on a new disc

6. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

and is there a difference between the one that doesnt have (cd) beside the name or not? i have a western digital

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Yup, I would give it another go. The download is normally an ISO file which you don't need to extract. Which manufacturer did you go to for the download.

8. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Our posts crossed, your last one was not there when I posted my last one.

You need to go through the selection process and get the one that corresponds with your model number, just wave the mouse pointer over the drives to see the numbers in a drop down menu.

The download you must choose is Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD), then select the one with .ISO. Don't extract the file just burn it straight to disk with image burn, instructions are in the guide above.

10. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

okay well not sure if this is progress or not, but i wrote at 8x and it booted the cd, then did stuff and said
    no driver found
    error code 0120
    /facepalm
    not sure what to do now

11. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

disregard that last post lool

12. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

okay so it did say that then said press key to continue and i did now it has a>\ and you can type so what do i type?

13. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

incase my post wasnt clear, it did say the error thing, and also below that it said hit any key to continue. So i pressed that and a black screen with a\> came up. I assume you hav to give it commands but i dont know which ones

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

That does suggest the boot disc is not detecting your hard drive. The error you have reported in post 10 says no drive found (although you have typed driver, I assume that is a typing error) which would suggest the hard drive is toast.

On the page you got the download from it does have a set of instructions.

As long as you are quite certain you did the drive selection correctly and got the right software for your model then I think we can conclude the hard drive is dead. I have one more boot disc you can try but I think the outcome is fairly predictable.

Download and burn this just the same as the diagnostics If this does not show the hard drive after it has finished loading then that will be conclusive proof that the drive is dead or the motherboard is faulty.

Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows
    Keep hitting the Enter key during boot up to choose the default settings, you only need to enter anything when it asks for your language preference.
    It will reach a screen where it will show the contents of your hard drive if it detects it.

15. kile392

kile392 Thread Starter

sorry but i already used up 5 4.7g discs for 50mb downloads and i really dont want to waste the cds. Im thinking of taking into a repair shop so they could just fix it but would that cost alot of money? Idk, but hopefully i just need a new hd. Only thing is that i dont have any other sata drives, there both ones that work for xp so i dont know what they are and my comp has different hookups so it can use sata drives. and suggestions?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice