1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Malware disabling admin privileges/program installing + boot.com

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Krski, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krski

Krski Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I'll get straight to the point, I've never seen a virus so bad on my comp :

Symptoms (by observation order) :
    -Slow windows startup, sometimes seems to freeze completely.
    -impossibility to access drives through their icons (but ok if opening a sub directory and going up for example) (until action number one, see below)
    -visual glitches everywhere (now gone, by itself it seems or maybe after first operation, see below).
    -impossibility to install certain programs, namely Symantec Anti-Virus, Kaspersky online and bitdefender online. Sometimes a message "you may not have the administrator priviliges" comes along.
    -popups, numerous attacks on different ports, publicity banners on internet sites replaced by adult/other banners.

Defense :
    -only ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm, always worked perfect for me.

Actions :
    -simple deletion of autorun.inf and boot.com that installed themselves on every drive-> Symptom one and two disappeared
    -scan by Ad-Aware 2007, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Flash Desinfector and HijackThis -> Nothing interesting exept maybe "dumprep 0 -k", command "%systemroot%\system32\dumrep 0 -k" . I just deleted that from start-up via msconfig.

Computer Configuration :
    Windows XP Pro SP3, running latest IE and latest FireFox.
    Dual boot with Grub on Ubuntu, but I don't think that matters.

Attached is my HijackThis log, but I think it's clean. Nothing strange in my running processes either. I'm willing to install ComboFix or whatever, just please keep in mind that I'm not a pro-formater and that I have important data on the PC, and,

Thanks a lot for any help :)

Attached Files:

2. Krski

Krski Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice