1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Malware filter and XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CaveatEmptor, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaveatEmptor

CaveatEmptor Thread Starter

Mornin' all
    Looks like a great forum!
    My first post.

System:
    Pentium 4 1.5g
    256 ram
    120g storage on 2 physical drives
    XP Home dual boot with 98 on other partition.
    dsl
    laser printer attached (not networked)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

As a long time user of AdAware, I BecameAware of some missed ads etc.
    Downloaded and ran a well respected malware program which shall remain nameless, but seems to have something in common with robots and spys ;)
    Deleted and retreived several items - seemed ok.
    Allowed whole list to run - would not retreive several items.
    At this point I Erased the program and apparently some vital files or information with it.

Lost internet and printing, RESTORE POINTS and more.
    Now one of the svchosts takes all available processor time, Usually 99%.
    Did some basic troubleshooting - using msconfig, services - have narrowed down to RPC Locator and RPC. When disabled, processor returns to normal values (of course a lot of functionality is gone).
    dll s look right (same folder size) but it appears to me as though svchost keeps searching for something.

Even tried a reinstall (repair) from my registered disk, which did not help. 98 continues to work ok.

Sorry to be so verbose, but if you've read to here, I must have gotten your attention.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cav

ps Any good XP troubleshooting sites or toolkit ideas? I'm still in DOS mentality and have fallen severely behind!

2. CaveatEmptor

CaveatEmptor Thread Starter

Was it something I said? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice