Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware yes or no

1K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20210123225046.000000-360
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 140 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 460 GB (374 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 09M39P, ver A00, s/n /BQSC863/CNWSC000B80YKE/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 2, s/n BQSC863
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Should I buy Malware Premium to protect my computer is Windows security enough

#2 ·
Stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app - Windows Security aka Windows Defender.
Do NOT install and use a third-party antivirus app.

There is NO need to pay for third-party security apps because there are plenty of good free ones out there.
The ones that I currently use are:
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 8.2.0.0
Malwarebytes Free 4.3.0.98
SUPERAntiSpyware Free 10.0.1224

------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Well Windows Defender's more potent defenses are only available to Windows Enterprise users. And they don't sell Enterprise to individuals/home users. And you would also need to buy Office 365 ProPlus. All the defenses are tied together in one big bundle. For those who only have Win 10 Pro, the only option is to go with 3rd party products reviewed by AV Comparatives or MRG Effitas.

#5 ·
The 4 apps that I mentioned in post #2 works very well for me.
Windows 10's antivirus app is the only one that loads and continually runs in the background.
The other 3 are manually started and updated about every 2 weeks, then a scan done with them.
Rarely, are any threats found and quarantined.
(y)

-------------------------------------------------

#7 · (Edited)
For those who only have Win 10 Pro, the only option is to go with 3rd party products reviewed by AV Comparatives or MRG Effitas.
I completely disagree with that. "The only option???" Certainly 3rd party products are not the only option.

Windows Defender is good enough to protect you as an antivirus solution. You need also an antimalware solution, free or paid. Malwarebytes is one of the best. AdwCleaner is not an antivirus/antimalware product. It detects adware, and it can be used manually in case we suspect the presence of adware (e.g. pop-ups, browsers redirections etc.).

Have in mind, however, that the free versions have no real time protection, so you have to run Malwarebytes free by yourself once every now and then, depending on how often you use the computer. If you decide to get the paid version of the product, you will have real time protection. Along with the Windows Defender, the built-in Windows 10 antivirus, they can keep you protected. Of course, as Couriant said, "it all depends on the user and their habits too".

Personally, I use Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes Premium and I am very happy with them. In a Windows 10 Home system.

#11 ·
Actually, it's up to the user and the way they use their computer.

Windows Security platform which is offered (built-in) in Windows 10, does not only include Windows Defender. It's a platform that covers everything, even Ransomware protection:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Software Circle

I prefer to use Malwarebytes as my antimalware solution, but that doesn't mean that Windows Security can't give that too. When it's up to personal choice I just don't like to be strict/dogmatic in favor of certain opinions. :)

#12 ·
Maybe it sounds dogmatic, but it is true the way it exists now, an individual cannot get ATP like functionality without going 3rd party. And MS has no one to blame but itself, because they structured their sales that way. Maybe if you have contacts inside MS, you could lament this to them. However they would just say the market is so small for ATP for individuals that it is not worth pursuing, and creating web ordering pages and work flow etc.

#13 ·
I do not have contacts inside MS. Actually I don't have any relation with the company. But from my experience I conclude that an ordinary user, who follows the safe computing rules, can be secure with Windows Security and it's up to them if they use a 3rd part antimalware solution. The OP asked about free/premium option of Malwarebytes and I explained above the difference. As for me using the Premium solution, there was a period of time they offered a life time license. So, I was one of those who took that chance then. Now it is a yearly subscription.

#18 ·
As for me using the Premium solution, there was a period of time they offered a life time license. So, I was one of those who took that chance then. Now it is a yearly subscription.
I did the same thing! Many many moons ago, Newegg had it on sale for $15-17 and I figured I had used the free version often enough to warrant spending a few $$ on the paid product. Best investment I've ever made! I also currently use it in conjunction with MS Defender.

Reactions: DR.M
#14 ·
Enterprise/Endpoint software is for corporations, as already stated, so if something like Advanced Threat Protection in Windows Defender is only available to that market then it means that it contains features that most (if not all) end users (personal use) wouldn't need in their home set up. Third party antivirus companies also have endpoint solutions that would offer more extensive features to users if they were part of that market and needed it but which are not available to end users for personal use either.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Cookiegal, I would have to correct you. As an individual I purchased BitDefender GravityZone (endpoint) and McAfee Endpoint for 3 users, and you can order those products on their web site. I guess MS is content not to pursue the SMB market, some of which really only do have 3 users.

#16 ·
I guess it is a fallacy to think a hacker would only attack home users with run of the mill malware that is detectable by consumer malware solutions. Any middle manager in any company also has a home, and is a 'home user'. But middle managers also has access to their companies dashboards and intranet web stuff. I, as a pretend hacker, will target these middle managers with all the arsenal I can get my hands on, from run of the mill malware, to black market bought attack tools using the latest fileless attacks. Hackers are not only attacking middle management, but regular developers, engineers, and clerks to gain a foot hold into corporations. Then they do horizontal migration to leap onto servers. In today's environment of working from home, companies are scrambling to protect their homebound workforce. And BYOD has evolved into their worst nightmare.

#17 · (Edited)
Sure you can purchase endpoint software but using it is a violation of the license agreement. If it's a business solution then it has a business license agreement. You would have access to it since you have it installed. Look at the licensed use of it. I can't find the one for that specific software online but I think it just comes under the umbrella of "business use".

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is the BitDefender's license: https://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/eula-business-solutions.html

" "You or "Your" refers to an individual or entity that has executed this Agreement and ordered Bitdefender Solutions and/or services from Bitdefender or its authorized resellers or distributors. "

So individuals are allowed to use their biz products. They would be pretty foolish to ignore SOHO and the SMB crowd.

As for McAfee Endpoint, I was only able to locate license matter regarding tech support service. Anyways I stopped using their product - their product is not compatible with Software Restriction Policy.

#21 ·
That's the same agreement I was able to access on their site and use of the term "individual" just means the person who purchased the software and entered into the agreement for the company's use. One word doesn't make an agreement, you have to read beyond that to the rights of use.

Further on in the agreement it states:

"User" means an employee, independent consultant or other individual of your entity who use or have access to or benefits from the Bitdefender Solution licensed to you.
and

LICENSE RIGHTS AND RESTRICTIONS

Upon Bitdefender's acceptance of your order and in consideration of the payment of the fee by you and receipt of the corresponding payment by Bitdefender, Bitdefender grants you the limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use Bitdefender Solution that You ordered solely for your internal business operations including your Affiliates, and subject to the terms of this agreement, including the order and the product documentation. You may allow your Users to use the Bitdefender Solutions for this purpose and you are responsible for their compliance with this agreement in such use.
This is posted to prevent misinformation and no further arguments will be permitted here in the thread. Anyone wishing to pursue it further is invited to contact me privately.

#22 ·
Clester,

Getting back to your question, many experts recommend staying with Microsoft's Windows Security because the performance should be sufficient and there's less chance of encountering compatibility issues which may cause problems with the operating system, particularly after important Windows updates. But of course, the decision is ultimately yours to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.