1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

malwarebytes - anti malware

Discussion in 'General Security' started by elmoticky, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmoticky

elmoticky Thread Starter

Hello tech guys. It has been a while since I was last here. I need an answer to an important question due to my inability to pay for security to my computer. I downloaded free Malwarebytes - anti malware software thinking it was free. I did this about 10 days ago. I got a notice on my screen informing me that my "Malwarebytes - anti malware" trial would expire in 5 days. So my question is this: Is there such a thing as free Malwarebytes - anti malware software. I downloaded this software due to some of the problems associated with malware, and found I had 4 infections and had them removed using this download. Now I have become accustomed to doing free scans but fear of losing this support. Please let me know if you need further information. I will add my apology for posting this without having an actual computer problem, only a question to avoid such a problem.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It sounds like you accidentally downloaded the Pro trial that usually lasts 14 or 15 days. Either that or during the free installation, there is a box that says "enable free trial of MBAM Pro". This needed to be unchecked.
    But yes, there is an actual free version you can download. You could uninstall it and redownload it from here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
    Pay close attention during the Setup, right before it launches it will ask if you wanna update it and there may be a box there asking about the trial. Make sure you uncheck that box.

3. elmoticky

elmoticky Thread Starter

Hello Cheeseball81. I did as you advised and uninstalled Malwarebytes antimalware program from my computer. Downloading your link gave me problems that started with the scanning of my registry and I became alarmed since I have been repeatedly advised from messing with the registry files. I uninstalled your link and went back to my original download and made sure I had the free program. This time I even got a prompt which asked me to sign my user name and email in order to get the free program. However, I have gotten the screen message that "trial download" will expire..(at about now). I click the "don`t show this message" and I still have the program. But the issue of clicking the trial button never came up. Thanks for your help. I have been away from Tech Guy and only saw this opportunity to contact you.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Glad it was resolved (y)

5. elmoticky

elmoticky Thread Starter

Cheeseball81, thanks. I have to think that my original problem was simply ignorance to
    whether Malwarebytes anti-malware free download would expire, and was not free at all. However, I have manage to resolve this problem by re-downloading my original program and all seems find now...Thanks a lot to you and Tech Guys. I hope to move along now for a while, at least.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice