1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Malwarebytes - CCleaner - Do I need both?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by snickert, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12196 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (797 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 07KY25
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have Malwarebytes Premium Trial 3.5.1 version and I'm going to purchase the purchased version soon.

I have CCleaner and it seems it's always updating and has become a bit annoying.

I think I understand Malwarebytes and CCleaner perform different functions but do I need both?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.5.1.2522 and Piriform CCleaner 5.46.6522 (both free) in all of my Windows 7/10 computers.
    I manually start MBAM every 14 - 15 days and run a scan with it and allow it to remove anything it finds.
    I manually start PCC when I need to use it for specific reasons.

The paid version of MBAM runs in the background all the time, so that may cause an issue with Windows 10's built-in Windows Defender Security Center.

There's no need to have PCC running in the background all time.
    If you go into its Options - Settings/Monitoring sections, you can disable that from happening.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Thank you! I believe I'm going to use your solution and it'll save me $40! :)

4. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    I didn't realize when I marked this solved that I would have another question!

The version I have is Malwarebytes Premium Trial 3.5.1 and states on the dashboard that it will expire in 12 days.
    Doing a search for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware the same site came up for the version that I already have.
    Where should I be looking for the version you have?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You probably have the same version already, you can check at Settings > About tab.

I think your Premium Trial version will revert to the free version automatically after it expires.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you go to Settings - Account Details, you can select the option to use the free version.
    When a pop-up appears in the taskbar, select the option that you don't need MBAM to load and run in the background.

Personally, I like the older 2.2.1.1043 version because it has a lot less settings and is easier to use, but I don't believe it works with Windows 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I agree 2.2.1. was easier to use
    However as I understand the situation and I will stand corrected
    Although 2.2.1. is still receiving updates - as it has reached end of life - those updates are confined to basic security database updates and may not include ALL updates
    The situation is explained in detail here
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/lifecycle/#lifecycle-matrices
    and as you say it is not considered fully compatible with the newer build versions of 10, as it was never updated for those versions when it went end of life

That said IMHO the product is not what it was and now has two many variables
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/mbam/Settings.html

Beta updates - on a protection product ?
    I would have liked the idea better if it contained a more substantive warning.
    For instance - the use of Beta updates is NOT recommended on general use computers. They are intended for those users who wish to test the update on TEST computers. etc.

8. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Should I then uninstall Malwarebytes and that being the case what security/malware application would you recommend?

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I recommend you use the included Windows defender
    It is free unobtrusive and the most important detail is that - it is always 100% compatible with Windows 10 and all its updates - 100% of the time.

If you then wish to support that with some scan on demand, such as my colleague Flavallee has mentioned he does, with the free Malwarebytes - the expired trial - in your case, then you may use that.

I do not use malwarebytes on 10, as mentioned the earlier version is not compatible with 10 and I do not like the new version. I use ESET online scanner.
    https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

I do not recommend CCleaner on 10 for the average user. It is certainly unnecessary, as a system maintenance tool on 10. The included automatic file checking, defrag or optimization and then YOU running disk cleanup and of course your browser history, cookies, etc cleanup, will suffice.

If you run CCleaner in default mode you will more than likely experience problems sooner or later.
    Please see here
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...freezing-and-restarting.1214409/#post-9532039

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I mainly use Piriform CCleaner in my Windows 7/10 computers to rename my installed apps so they have their correct names and versions.
    Its "Cleaner" and "Registry" features don't get used.

I agree with post #9.
    If you blindly use it in default mode, you're asking for trouble.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Okay, think I've got it and thanks so much for all the information!

12. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    I appreciate all the great assistance I get from you! Now I can say my inquiry is 'solved'! Thank you!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice