Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malwarebytes scan takes too long

Solved 
5K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  zvone 
#1 ·
Since the last update, my Malwarebytes scan (free version 4.4.11) takes much too long. I tried several times but after 2 hours I gave up. Everything is normal, except when it comes to "scanning file system". I tried to change some settings but it didn't help. Anyone else have the similar problem and is there a simple solution?:unsure:

#4 ·
Hiya zvone,

Rather than messing about with any settings try a clean install of Malwarebytes. A fresh install will have all settings at default levels, when complete try a scan and see if there is any improvement...

Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Thank you,

Kevin.

#5 ·
Hiya zvone,

Rather than messing about with any settings try a clean install of Malwarebytes. A fresh install will have all settings at default levels, when complete try a scan and see if there is any improvement...

Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Thank you,

Kevin.
Thanks a lot Kevin. That was my last option and I thought that some simple change in settings will fix the problem. Apparently not. I'll do that, first thing in the morning.
Kind regards
Zvone

#6 ·
I followed the instructions, did a fresh install and everything went fine. Scan time improved but it's still too long. 1 hour and 40 min. During that time almost every web page on Chrome was unresponsive and slow. Same thing was happening with the Windows explorer. Is there a decent free alternative for the Malwarebytes and do I actually need it? I already got Windows defender and Super AntiSpyware.

#9 ·
After reinstalling and installing Malwarebytes again, the problem still persists. Every scan takes around 1h and 20 min. It shouldn't be a problem if It was only running in the background, but every web page loads very slow during the scan (I tried: Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Opera). Is there anything similar to Malwarebytes? I'm looking for something free and reliable. In addition, I'm using Windows Defender and Super Antispyware.

Attachments

#12 ·
Unfortunately, nothing has changed with the new version. I was waiting about 50 min. and than cancelled the scan. So in order to finish with this topic I've got 2 questions. 1. Do I need anything else besides Windows defender and Super Antispyware? If yes, which one of the free programs would you recommend? My first option was Bitdefender free, but they are shutting it down at the end f the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.