Manage storage drives in new computer

Shubert

I got a brand spankin new Dell XPS desktop with a 200 Gb drive labeled OS: C, and a 1 Tb drive labeled Data: D.

It was shipped to me configured to save new data to the OS: C drive. I didn't realize this at first and put all my data from my old computer here.

I noticed a few months later that this drive is almost full, and the Data: D drive is almost empty. A rather disgruntled tech at Dell helped me to configure this machine to save new data to Data: D. It looks like all this data is still on my OS: C drive as well as the Data: D drive now. I initially didn't seem to be able to copy all this data from C to D; It would just let me put a shortcut there. I finally moved it from my backup drive to Data: D.

I can't seem to delete it now from the OS: C drive without it being deleted from Data: D. This is really bizarre and very troublesome.

Any suggestions?

crjdriver

First post a screenshot of disk management. To access disk management, start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter.

crjdriver

It means you have two physical disks rather than a single disk partitioned into multiple disks.
This is not difficult; simply move the documents folder to D:
To do this, open my computer and right click documents>properties. When the properties tab opens, click location. Type in where you want to move it to ie D:\ or whatever. Click move.
Done.
I highly recommend having a current backup of anything important in your docs ie mp3s, docs, work files, whatever BEFORE doing the above.
Creating a system image before doing the above would also be a good idea.

Last edited:

crjdriver

BTW if you have an AV program other than windows security, that possibly can prevent you from deleting files. Norton is famous for just this problem.

crjdriver

As I mentioned, I copied my files from a backup drive...
Copying your files from a backup has nothing to do with the location of the documents folder. As I said, this is NOT a difficult problem to solve. In fact it is pretty simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online