1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Managed Switch VLAN Support

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ardyw, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ardyw

ardyw Thread Starter

Hi,

I am upgrading my office. I recently received a shipment of VoIP phones, and they are being bogged down by all of the regular network traffic from the office computers.

My current setup looks like this:
    [Phones + Computers]--->[Unmanaged Switch]--->[Router]--->[Modem]

I have purchased another router, modem, and phone line, and would like my setup to look like this:
    [Phones + Computers]--->[Managed Switch]--->[Phone Router]--->[Modem]
    ______________________________|------------->[Computer Router]--->[Modem]

So essentially I will buy a new switch with one that will send all of the phone traffic to one modem, and all of the computer traffic to another modem.

I have researched the topic, and believe that I can do this by using a managed switch to create a VLAN for each group, and apply QoS settings to give the phone group priority.

My question to you is will this switch do the job? http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=86

Your help is very much appreciated,
    -Roger

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    short answer: yes. What router/s are you using?

Personally, I would only use CISCO products.

3. ardyw

ardyw Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

I researched similar CISCO switches, and they do give some benefits; however, they cost over 3 times as much as the D-Link ones.

Under the new setup, is it still possible for the router to be a bottleneck? Since there is a separate router for each data-type, I don't think that QoS is needed. Please correct me if I am wrong. My current plan is to use the very cheap and basic Linksys BEFSR11 router http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3201722279B01

This router does not support QoS or VLAN. I don't think that this will be a problem, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I think the no VLAN would be an issue in terms of DHCP, but I have not tried that scenario yet. Also it would also depend on how many users there are.

As for the CISCO thing, true the prices are steep, but you do get a top notch product/s and is probably the best out there. Plus I think it would alleviate your problem. But that's my own opinion, and plus i like only having the best ;)

5. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

VALNing and QoS is a must if you are using VoIP. Seperate you VoIP traffic by having the phones use 802.1q to tag there packets with a VLAN ID. You cna then run your workstations on the native VLAN. You will need to configure you ports a trunks wich is fine.
    I highly recomend Cisco and dell equpment. We just deployed a large VoIP system last week and it went really smoothly. Also sense you are thinking about deploying VLANS you might wnat to spring for a nice switch and maybe place your infa structure on a seprate VLAN from your phones and workstations.

Oh yeah and if you are going to use VLAN's with diffrent subnets you can still pull DHCP (create a superscope).

P.S.
    That Dlink looks like it will work too!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice