1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

managing cookies in IE9

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by don_1953, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don_1953

don_1953 Thread Starter

I'm not even sure if this is possible. I work for a company doing tech support, we have an online program that our subscribers use to research information about corporate aircraft around the world. We license it on a per user basis, when a user logs on for the first time, the login attempt stores a cookie on their computer. All subsequent login attempts are managed by this cookie, it stores their username and also stores their password for eight hours. If they login from a different computer, we can tell, they can still login in "travel" mode, or, if they are switching to an new computer, they will have an option to make it their Authorized machine.
    If they delete their browsing history and cookies, it of course deletes the cookie and now they get the "Not Authorized" prompt. After switching computer more than a limited number of times, the user is effectively locked out of the program, until I reset the login switch counter for their account. This is very annoying for some subscribers who want to continually purge their cookies and browsing history at the end of every browsing session. I thought by going to the Security and Privacy tabs in the Internet Options windows and choosing to adding our website to "Trusted" and adding our site to the "Managed websites" list that it would save the cokkie and prevent it from being swept out when a subscriber deletes all browsing history. However even with these stting changes, our cookies are being deleted along with everything else.
    Is there a way to do a "delete all browsing history except for" option?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Not that I am aware of. I would be interested in this answer too.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

How about putting the website in your Favorites? Then, in Tools > Internet Options > General > Browsing history > Delete..., tick the "Preserve Favorites website data" box?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) I thought about this after my post and didn't check IE settings until now. That should work for IE... I would assume Chrome and Firefox that should have the same feature.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

For Firefox, it's Tools > Options > Privacy.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice