Mandatory profile desktop icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Callum_Dawson

On my mandatory profiles, there are some desktop icons which aren't added via the server share, but by the local computer's installed programs. How would I go about removing these unwanted icons?

Depends a bit on your operating system, but you basically need to delete those shortcuts from the "All Users" Desktop Folder.

In XP, the path is typically:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

In Win 7, I think it's the same, but replace "Documents and Settings" with "Users", I think.

Callum_Dawson

Sorry, forgot to mention I was using Windows 7. Your post worked, thanks.

Is there any way to automatically clean out the icons in group policy?

I don't know off the top of my head if there is a built in setting for it, or where it would be, and I'm not working in a server environment today, so I don't have anyway of looking.

One workaround would be to use a logon script to clean all shortcut files out of the All Users Desktop folder at logon. Certainly not an ideal solution, as I think it would probably load the shortcuts for the first logon at each machine, but then the shortcuts should be gone the next time a user logs into that machine. However, depending on how/what your profiles sync, that first user who logs on could end up with those "All User" shortcuts syncing to their profiles. Interesting question, I wish I had a system here that I could test it on (that used to drive me nuts when I was a very under-skilled Network Administrator).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online